01

chapter one ; i'm sorry

mira pov

"I do not believe in love, and I surmise that's enough for you to leave me alone?"

I ask the annoying boy who has been pestering me since morning. he just shakes his head and puts an adorable smile which is too hard not to notice. I have already noticed. I sigh and take a glance at the taller figure. he's over 5"10, my guess. Wearing a denim jacket over a plain white t-shirt with a black pant which is touching the campus floor. His eyes are midnight black and his hair is as if it's absorbing all the light around me while his skin is like a moonstone reflecting the sunlight as much as it can.

"I couldn't be more grateful then," he smiles. his side cheeks form a line of dimples. I frown at his silly words. what does he mean?

"Are you like...high or something?" I stop walking because it feels very irritating when somebody is constantly following me. I turn around and directly pierce my eyes into his. His eyes soften a thousand times more.

"If you don't believe in love that means my job is to make you believe. And that's why I am here," he grins while his hands reach his hair and flip it backward which is of no use because his hair stays the same as before.

" Are you a cupid?" I say sarcastically and bat my eyelashes all innocent-like. Though I suppose he does not get that. He sighs and utters something I can hardly hear. But I still do.

"This is gonna be way harder than I thought," he almost whispers.

I feel my eyes wide open and wet as if I'd been showering in the rain for hours. Now I find myself in a room I'm too tired of living in. I glance at the sun who is peeking through the window. Why am I still living? I shrug off a hundred questions like this and urge my body to get up.

I keep dreaming of him when he was here with me. That was my first meeting with him. And if I had forgotten it, it would be like forgetting half of my memories.

But unluckily I don't suffer from Alzheimer's.

The next moment I find myself in a coffee shop with my only friend on earth, Mi Cha.

"Humans are immortal. A person who is born must taste death," she's reading something out loud on her phone.

And to tell you something, she's the worst when it comes to comforting someone. She's silly and fun but never was she serious. I think that's just something wrong in her DNA that couldn't be fixed by itself.

"Come on, bestie. It's been a few months already and you're still holding on to something that can't be changed," Mi cha speaks out.

She's right. It can't be changed. Our fate.

"You've been so silent that I don't remember the last time you laughed."

Neither do I.

"What is to laugh about? I've lost my reason," I sigh and take a sip of my cappuccino.

"I know it's hard to move on. And I know whatever you're going through... I can't relate to it. But I love you and I want you to be alright," she is worried about me. I've never wanted to be a subject to worry about.

I'm sorry.

But today I'll breathe oxygen for the last time.