Chapter Thirty-Nine

"I'm sorry," Sydney said a couple of days later when she came back into the room I was kept in with her shoulders rounded and her lips downturned.

"What are you apologizing for?" I asked her. my voice clipped and somewhat aggressive. Vincent still hadn't returned. And all alone, these last few days had felt endless, though I hadn't found myself eager for anyone's company either.

The human shuffled into the room and closed the door behind herself, socked feet sliding a little against the waxed wooden floor. She approached me and decided to sit down at the foot of the bed, not daring to touch me.

"I didn't realize– I am just trying to make the best out of a horrible situation. Do I like them? No. Do I enjoy being a pet? No. But what other choice do I have? I can't get out. So, I'd rather enjoy what I can. But what they are doing to you... what you said that Jonathan did to your boyfriend–"

"Don't," I snapped, interrupting her. I held her gaze until she looked away and then I shook my head at her, even though she wasn't seeing it. "If you wanna enjoy your time with the rapists go right ahead, that's your prerogative, but don't come to me crying and apologizing because you feel bad about it."

"I... you're thirsty," she said, switching topic so fast I was left reeling. I narrowed my eyes at her, thinking back to what Vincent had told her right before he left, and then raised my eyebrows when she moved closer while offering her wrist.

"Thanks, but Vincent won't find this amusing. I'm not drinking until he comes back," I said and closed my eyes.

She was hesitant but after a few moments, she crawled on the bed until she settled against the headboard right between me and the wall.

"I didn't know," she whispered into the quietness. "I would have fought it, if I knew."

I didn't respond to her. We sat in silence until I heard the front door downstairs open, and Vincent's voice traveled up the stairs, too low for Sydney to pick up. I tensed up and she shed me a small, weird look, but she didn't break the silence between us. Vincent said something to Jonathan and then he climbed up the stairs. With each of his steps, I twitched, unsure of what was to come.

"It's so much better now that I know you are coming," I told Vincent, even though he was still at the start of the hallway. Sydney looked weirdly at me again and tilted her head in question.

"Is it, treat?" Vincent drawled as he came down the hallway and Sydney heard that. She blinked expectantly at the door and then lowered her gaze when Vincent came into the room. "I, personally, preferred it when you jumped every time I opened the door."

I smiled disgustingly at him, "Frankly if you told me the opposite I'd be surprised."

He continued to look amused and walked further into the room, tilting his head and looking at Sydney. She kept her gaze lowered for the entirety of it, tugging and pulling her cuticles.

"You two have been talking, haven't you?" he asked, and I cooed at him sarcastically.

"Well, my mouth is still functional, so what did you expect?" I snapped at him.

"Jonathan and Eric are on dweller and pet duty, so I think it's time for Sydney's turn," Vincent said, undoing his button-up.

The human's head snapped up at the sound of that. It was clear, she hadn't been expecting it. We both watched as Vincent reached into the drawer of the nightstand and pulled out a small bolt cutter. He leaned over me and cut one of the chain links keeping my arms up by the headboard and I hissed in pain as I was finally able to move my arms. My shoulders, biceps, and forearms burned with pain as I was able to move them freely again. He threw the bolt cutters on the nightstand and nudged my legs closer to my body in order for him to sit as close to me as possible.