Chapter 5. 1813 

Over the next three days, Diana received several letters from Everett, each one more despicable than the last. She wasn't being allowed to choose anything for her wedding. Not her gown, not the flowers, and certainly not the cake.
George was furious, both with himself and Everett. The bastard wasn't allowing Diana to choose anything herself. He massaged his temples, pacing across the floor of his office. If Anthony was Diana's fiancé, he would allow her to choose anything she wanted.
George threw himself into his plush dark red velvet chair at his desk, burying his face into his hands. He could have easily sent a letter to Anthony, but his best friend, more like brother than anything else, was currently at Oxford. He wasn't at Cambridge.
A gentle hand was placed on his shoulder, prompting George to look up. His heart squeezed, guilt washing over him, as he came face-to-face with his mother. Tears gathered at the corners of his eyes. "I am such an idiot."
Mary gently pulled her son up and brought him against her chest. "You are no such thing my son. Neither you nor Diana knew exactly what that man was capable of. Both of you were threatened, you had no other choice."
George gave her a tight hug before pulling away and beginning to pace once more. "Mother, this is Everett Kingston we are speaking of. He is a bloody bastard and a rake."
Mary. "And yet he had enough power over you to threaten ruining your sister and forcing you to consent to an unwanted marriage."
George paused and looked at her. "Exactly. If Anthony was involved in this equation, I would wholeheartedly allow Diana to marry him. I know Kevorkian, he has a heart of gold."
Mary nodded. "So does Natalia."
George swallowed hard, his anger evaporating slightly. His love for Natalia was everything, and he had yet to reveal it to her. He took a deep breath. "I know, which makes this situation all the more terrible."
Mary stepped forward, taking his hands. "We will find a way to rescue her. For now, we must allow the marriage to unfold."
George nodded numbly. He knew nothing could be done. His only hope and prayer was that Everett wouldn't hurt his sister.
***
Another three days went by before George received an unexpected letter from Everett. Oozed, he took the letter from his page boy and opened it with his letter opener. Removing one sheet of paper from the envelope, he placed it on his desk and began to read what was written.
Lord Azarian,
I will make this brief. I no longer wish to marry your sister. I have come to the realization that she would not make me a proper wife. I am very particular when it comes to choosing my bride, and I do not believe your sister has all of the qualifications I am seeking. Therefore, our engagement is finished.
Everett Kingston
George felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Diana would no longer be married to Everett. She was able to have her debut.
Smiling gleefully, George stood up from his seat, stepping out of his office and walking to Diana's bedroom. He knocked on the door. "Diana, may I come in? I have some news that I must share with you."
Diana opened the door. "What is it George?"
George extended his hand, showing her the letter from Everett. "You no longer have to marry Kingston."
Diana took the letter, reading it and then rereading it. Her eyes widened, her mouth falling to the floor. "I don't have to marry him anymore."
George was beaming from ear to ear as he pulled her against him. "No, you certainly don't. You can have your debut in peace, be able to choose your own husband."
Diana hugged him tightly. "And you get to choose your own wife."
The brother and sister smiled at each other, knowing exactly where their hearts desired to be. With Everett Kingston no longer compromising anything, they were able to love who they wished. Of course, for Diana, there would be plenty of gentleman vying for her affection, especially if she became the seasons incomparable.
Diana. "Thankfully my wedding gown didn't arrive."
George. "Thank God for that. You can easily make your own gown."
Diana giggled, but then became serious. "I have not seen Anthony for three years."
George hugged her. "I know, I've not seen him much either. It doesn't help matters that he is attending Oxford and I am at Cambridge."
Diana smiled softly. "I am hoping that he is going to show his face on the day of my debut. Natalia is having her debut the same day as I am."
George chuckled. "Then Kevorkian has no other choice, he must attend to support both of you."
The siblings smiled, relief flowing through them. They could finally relax, knowing that an unwanted marriage wasn't in either of their future. They could focus on the upcoming London season, and finding true love.
Diana glanced at the letter that was still in her hands. "What shall we do with this?"
George took the letter. "We are going to burn it. There is no more need for it."
Diana nodded, smiling. "I wholeheartedly agree brother."
Walking over to the fireplace, George tossed the letter into the fire. He smiled with satisfaction as the piece of parchment began to burn. Everett Kingston would never bother them again.
Diana. "I have come up with a few options for my debut gown, would you like to see them?"
George turned and smiled brightly at her. "Yes, I certainly would."