Chapter 8. 1813 

Diana and Natalia smiled as they stepped forward, each of them receiving a dazzling tiara from the queen. Diana's was silver with diamonds and a single sapphire in the center. Natalia's was gold with the same diamonds and an emerald in the center.
Charlotte. "Both of you have shown the most poise and elegance throughout this evening, making my choice quite simple. Now then, which of you gentlemen would like to have the first dance?"
Diana and Natalia glanced at the gentleman surrounding them. Some of them were quite handsome, but didn't seem very interested in dancing. Some seemed even more disinterested with being at the ball.
George cleared his throat. "His grace and I would love to dance with them."
Diana watched as her brother stepped through the throng of gentlemen. She smiled at him, glad he would be one of the first to dance with Natalia. But then her eyes landed on the gentleman beside him, and her heart nearly stopped.
He was tall, a few inches taller than she was. His hair was still the same shade of dark brown, his eyes the same shade of dark chestnut. His muscular body was perfectly exposed in his three-piece black silk suit cream button up shirt cravat and black boots.
Charlotte nodded. "Very well Lord Azarian, I shall leave the first dance to you and the Duke." She turned and guided away."
Diana felt her heart continuing to climb as she watched Anthony step toward her, a brilliant smile on his face. Returning his smile, she dropped into a curtsy. "Good evening your grace."
Anthony gave her a bow before taking her hand and brushing his lips against her knuckles. "Good evening to you Miss Azarian. Will you do me the honor of the first dance?"
Diana gave him a soft smile, keeping her hand with his. "I would be honored."
Squeezing her fingers gently, Anthony escorted her to the Dance floor. He gave George a wink as he watched him escort Natalia to the same spot. Moments later, the first waltz of the evening began.
***
Three hours into the ball, George and Anthony decided it was time to have Diana and Natalia for themselves. Collecting their respected sibling from her current dance partner, they escorted them out onto the terrace. The four of them needed a few minutes of privacy to reconnect.
Once outside, the four of them gave shouts and squeals of delight. Tight embraces and kisses on the cheek were exchanged. They couldn't contain their joy any longer.
Natalia gave Diana another tight squeeze. "Can you believe this? The two of us, chosen by the queen!"
Diana was beaming. "I cannot believe it! Here I thought I wouldn't receive this honor!"
Natalia. "I didn't either, much less believed I would get to share it with my best friend!"
George. "But you both are, and we are very proud of you."
Anthony. "Indeed we are, which means we are going to need to protect you from praying gentlemen."
Natalia and Diana burst into giggles, knowing their brothers would do anything to keep them safe. They smiled before hugging them tightly. Little did they realize that their future husbands were standing right in front of them.
***
Over the next four weeks, Diana was bombarded with gentlemen after gentlemen. Some had titles while others didn't. Nearly all of them had a considerable amount of wealth to their name, as well as property. Most were arrogant and prideful, but some were tolerable.
Diana knew Natalia was having the same experience. The two of them had exchanged several correspondence, each day discussing a particular gentleman and what had taken place during his visit. They didn't like any of their suitors.
On a clear and pleasant morning toward the beginning of May, Diana watched as George stood up from the breakfast table. She placed her teacup onto the saucer after taking a sip, gazing at her brother. "Where are you off to?"
George cleared his throat, a blush creeping up his cheeks from his neck. "If you must know, I am going to see Natalia."
Diana gazed at him curiously. "Really? Why is that?"
George swallowed hard. "I... I simply want to visit her. Besides, you are going to be having your own visitor shortly."
Diana became confused. "What are you talking about?"
The Azarian Butler cleared his throat, standing in the doorway. "His grace, the Duke of Claremont."
Diana felt her mouth fall to the floor, her eyes going wide as she saw Anthony entering the breakfast room. She glanced at George, giving him a bright smile. "You are wonderful."
George smiled. "I am aware. Enjoy yourselves."
Diana smiled. "You enjoy your time with Natalia as well."
Beaming like a schoolboy, George gave Anthony a quick pat on the back, which was reciprocated, before turning and leaving the house. Climbing into his carriage, he settled back against the tufted seat as the vehicle drove toward Claremont Park. He knew his sister was safe with Anthony, just like Natalia was safe with him.