origami girl

Izuku Midoriya never saw himself as someone with good luck.

In fact, he was more on the opposite spectrum.

Like a shadow clinging desperately to him, bad luck shortly followed after. His father died. He got into U.A. High, but wound up dropping out. Money kept slipping from the fingers of his family. How sad. He wound up getting kicked out (the polite term was "in between houses") of his childhood home by his teary-eyed mother. What a joke.

Bad luck seemed to follow him everywhere.

And that's why this interview was so important to him.

Maybe it was the end to Izuku's streak of bad luck.

Dynamight Co., the biggest cybersecurity company in Musutafa city. It would take a shit ton of work for a nobody to progress through the ranks, but Izuku decided that ambition wasn't going to cut it for him. He could barely scrape enough money for dinner some nights, let alone spend his time as a corporate slave.

Even his method of landing an interview was questionable. Without the necessary qualifications to become even an entry-level security analyst, the people over the phone had almost laughed at him. Izuku had swallowed his pride and tears, and begged them to let him at least get an interview. He needed this job for the jaw-dropping pay.

He was a down-on-his-luck high school dropout. There should have-no, would have-been no way for it to work. Absolutely no chances. Especially with his...qualities.

And yet.

Here he was, standing in front of the worryingly tall office building, early-morning light bouncing off the glass windows too brightly, a pit in his stomach at the even more worrying realization that his prior experience in cybersecurity was when he was twelve.

Oh no. Oh no no no.

If I can somehow trick them into thinking that my knowledge in cybersecurity is about thirteen years more advanced than my current level...

Izuku made a note to self to make sure not to bite off more than he could chew with this.

He was so lost in thought that he barely noticed someone lightly tap his shoulder.

"AHH!" He exclaimed, jolting in surprise and whipping his head in the direction of the stranger to see who the actual hell would interrupt such a monologue.

He was met with a pair of brown eyes filled with warmth, or concern...

"Are...you alright? You've been standing there for a long time. It was kind of worrying." The stranger asked gingerly, as if he was a fragile doll or child. Izuku could feel himself heating up in embarrassment.

Oh no. How long was he coming up with his master plan...?

"Huh? Oh, uh, yes, I'm alright. I was just thinking." Izuku answered awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck, giving the stranger a lopsided smile.

"Okaay..." The stranger replied, and an awkward silence fell onto them, the thickness of it making Izuku cringe.

She quickly added, "Anyway, are you here for a job interview? It doesn't seem like you'd be just your average employee here."

Izuku nodded. The stranger grinned with certain warmth at the shared sentiment, leaving Izuku feeling...puzzled. "Wow! What a coincidence! So am I!"

"Let's hope we do our best, then!" He returned the expression, not entirely meaning his words. To hope to land this job would be foolish - he desperately needed the support.