Florence's Journal

E.C.o.H.S. Infection Stages

Stage I- Infection; Transmission to One Hour

->Infection is transmitted through a bodily fluid transfer from an infected's teeth. Yet unknown why the transmission only occurs from bites, not through blood or scratches passed from infected.

-> Whatever this virus is, it moves rapidly. Within an hour of transmission your temperature already proceeds to climb. A dull headache pulsates through their head, while a stiffness forms in their neck. The symptoms share similarities with meningitis, attacking the body's central nervous system.

Stage II Two to Six Hours after Transmission

->Most display high levels of nausea with the occasional spurt of vomiting that is laced with blood. The skin severely blanches in this stage, as the infected temperature rises further. The headache and neck stiffness amplify to an almost unbearable state during this stage. Patches of deep red, bubbling rashes and sores form across the body. Tiredness, lethargy, and irritability hit hard around the three hour mark. Within four to six hours all movement sends pain coursing throughout the infected individual, along with slowly losing their capability to control their movements. What we have deemed death crackles begin here, as fluid builds in their lungs. Excruciating pain is anticipated in this stage.

Stage III The Final; Seven to Sixteen Hours After Transmission

-> Intolerable and agonizing pain reports in one hundred percent of transitioning afflicted. The fever reaches fatal highs, sending most into a delirious state, spewing nonsensical gibberish. Uncontrollable spasms occur throughout the body, as nerve paralysis ceases all voluntary control of their limbs. The effervescent necrotic rash covers roughly eighty-five percent of the soon to be transitioned individuals skin, leaving the being in unbearable pain. Debilitating seizures hit in waves, with each seizure the afflicted are left in a worsened state. At last the merciful hand of death grasps the individual, but within two minutes to an hour it lets go as they reanimate into something much less that what they were prior.

The Infected May 18, 2024

The best way I can describe these things, (Because that is what they are, things, the qualities that made them human departed with death) is hellish mindless deviants. I know to most survivors their skin is the most appalling aspect to these things. Their inhumanly pale flesh enveloped in massive oozing blisters, that when busted release a putrid stench even more potent than their decaying flesh. For me however, it is their eyes. How they have been completely overtaken a deep crimson hue, leaving no remnants of the iris or sclera. Just a black pin prick  void in the center. It's like looking into the eyes of Satan himself, especially when they are locked onto you, desperate to rip into your flesh.

Fortunately for us these creatures seem to have also parted with most of their intelligence with death. The infected are just witless, dim beings who aimlessly stumble around every second searching for their next feed. They only seem to be able to move at a brisk walking pace, seemingly losing their agility to either the virus or death.

While it may seem that these ghouls aren't much of a threat, that belief would be deceptive. When possible they like to herd together, and groups of these agitated starving infected are exceedingly dangerous. You may be quicker than them, but they never run out of stamina, never need to catch their breaths or deal with screaming muscles. Once locked onto a target they don't give up, unless something else piques their wasted brains. Loud sounds could be your saving grace these days, as the infected are drawn in by it. If effectively used, it could be the distraction you need to escape to live another day.

Rule number one, don't get bit, but rule number two is always aim for the brain. Whatever this virus is, to all logical appearances resides there, making it the only solution for putting these things out of their misery for good. I know no one will likely ever read this, it is more of just a way for me to keep my sanity. To give me something to do, opposed to the seemingly never ending hours of watching the infected stagger by my bedroom window.

July 21, 2024

Dead. They are both dead. I couldn't stop it, I couldn't do anything but watch from the truck's window. Red, all I could see was red. Red as they were being torn apart in front of me. Their screams are still echoing in my head, I can't make it stop. I can't quiet it. I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry mom and dad. Please forgive me.

This is it January, 2025 (I think, who knows)

I found this notebook at the bottom of my backpack, and realized I had completely neglected to keep writing. I don't know why I am explaining myself to a notebook, perhaps it is because when you are dying even talking with a notebook is preferable to being completely alone. Yep, dying. Bitten to be precise. After almost a year in this world I got careless, and didn't clear a store before searching it. I suppose just a bite is better than being ripped to shreds, but all it takes is a bite. I've probably stared at these teeth marks on my wrist for at least thirty minutes, as if that would change my fate. My fate being that I will be dead before the next sunrise. My corpse forced to walk the earth until it completely decays or a survivor gives it mercy, because I don't deserve an easy death, not with what I've done. I deserve to suffer. Who knows though after I finish this bottle of whiskey I might have a change of heart. Well I guess this is it, my sucky ass ending. If anyone ever finds this, don't be a moron like I was.