CHAPTER 13

Michael had just made it onto the East Wing's second floor when he pulled out his moonstone and lifted it to his lips.

"Zanna, I do not know if you are listening, but if you are, we need to talk right now. And if you are but plan on ignoring me, just know 'tis about Aria, who just came to the castle to speak with the Alpha."

He was certain she could not ignore that.

"Meet me in the West Wing as soon as possible. I mean it, Zanna. As soon as possible."

He pocketed the stone and continued on with his trek to the West Wing.

After making a turn, he heard hushed voices as he walked past a side corridor. He stopped to turn his head, expecting them to belong to some omegas. Instead, he saw Danica and Lukas.

Michael would not have thought much of it had they not been tucked away in the shadows much like he and his mother had been moments ago.

They both turned their heads at the same time and looked at him. When Danica's eyes met his, she distanced herself from his guard and walked up to him with her pink lips curved into a smile.

"Hello." She lifted her hand to tuck a stray hair behind her ear. "I was just asking your guard about your whereabouts."

He had not asked, but her eagerness to explain could have only meant she did not want him to misunderstand. But misunderstanding would have meant he cared.

And he most certainly did not.

Michael looked at Lukas, who remained tucked away in the dark hallway, then back at Danica. "In the shadows?"

Her smile receded as she casted her gaze to the ground. "I snuck out of my chambers, and only wished not to be caught."

That explained why her attendants were nowhere to be found.

"What is it you wanted?"

She looked up at him. "I wanted to ask if you could show me around the castle tomorrow?"

"I will be busy. If that is all you wished to ask, then you can return to your chambers."

He turned to walk away, but she clutched onto his arm before he could take a step.

"Please."

The moment he looked down at her hand, she pulled it away. He looked up at her, not to reprimand her for touching him but because her touch felt...wrong. She was an undeniably pretty girl—his future mate—yet her touch stirred nothing inside of him.

"Please," she repeated.

Michael sighed. Because he had more important things to do at the moment, and figured it would be the only way to make her go away, he agreed.

"Fine." He shifted his gaze to Lukas. "Take her back to her chambers."

He figured he could kill two birds with one stone—get rid of her, and prevent the guard from following him.

Still standing in the darkness of the corridor, Lukas turned his head and looked at Michael. "I think the lady would much prefer it if you took her."

Michael looked down at Danica. The hope in her eyes was not enough to make him reconsider. In fact, it only made him want to draw a clear line even more. But that, too, had to wait.

"If only I had not already commanded you to do so."

A few silent seconds ticked by before Lukas walked over and met them in the light. "Lady Danica," he gestured for her to start walking.