CHAPTER 14

"The courtyard looks so beautiful in the winter."

Danica's observation made Michael pull his gaze away from the snowy ground to, instead, look around the castle's large courtyard.

He often walked the castle grounds whenever he wanted to clear his mind, and it was something he did alone. But since he had promised to show Danica around—and doing so was the only way to get her out of the Woodlands—he had no choice but to act as though he was happy to do so.

"I can only imagine what it looks like in the spring. I much prefer the warmer months."

Michael looked from the icicles hanging from tree branches to the inches of snow covering the ground. He then looked at her, taking in the tinge of red staining her cheeks and tip of her nose. "I take it winters in the south are not as harsh as ours in the north?"

"Not at all."

"Pity. I much prefer the colder months."

Her grip on his arm loosened, causing him to look down.

Along their journey back to the castle, she had latched onto him and had yet to let go. He had not pulled away, as he had been the first to initiate contact when he had grabbed her hand to get her out of the Woodlands. But looking down at her hold on him made him wonder if she was laying claim to him—and if grabbing her hand had made her think he had been laying claim to her.

"I am sure I will get used to it."

He looked up into her eyes and caught a glimpse of panic—as if she feared their opposing preference of seasons would cause a rift between them. "Why force yourself to adapt? To please others? To please me?"

She lowered her eyes before turning her head away. "I do not wish to dissatisfy you."

"You do not know me well enough to know what will dissatisfy me." He turned to look straight ahead. "Rest assured, preferring spring to winter is not something I will hold against you."

They continued to walk in silence. As it was meant to be a tour, he led her towards the tall hedged labyrinth in the middle of the courtyard. It was not until they entered that she spoke again.

"You remind me of my brother."

Michael turned his head, interested in the comparison. One of the few things he knew about her was that she had an older brother, Erik, who was their father Henrik's successor.

"He is not much of a talker, and loves his solitude. A lone wolf, you could say. He does not mean to offend, 'tis just his personality."

Had he offended her?

"Are you two not close?"

"We are close, yet two worlds apart, I suppose."

He hated to admit it, but he could relate. As close as he and Gabriel were, having the same blood running through their veins had not meant there was no rank between them. Gabriel was born to be the future Alpha, and Michael was born to serve him.

"Are you saying there is a distance between us?"

How could there not? They did not know each other and had been forced together.

"I am saying," she finally let go of his arm just as they rounded the first corner of the labyrinth, "this mating...you do not want it."

There was no need for him to lie. "I do not. But it has nothing to do with you. A mate is just not something I desire."

Somebody to love, protect, and who would depend on him—he wanted none of it.

"Is it that you truly do not desire a mate, or do you not want a mate if it cannot be the one you truly desire?"