Chapter 5

That morning after her mistress's return from Jerusalem, Leah entered Procula's bedchamber and discovered the woman was sitting up. Leah quickly prepared the scented bathwater and laid out fresh garments. "You seem better, mistress."

"And what a relief it is." Procula rubbed her forehead. She still looked wan, her eyes sunken by past pain, but her voice sounded alert. "I would like to see my husband. Is he available?"

"Not right now, I'm afraid. He has a guest."

Procula's head lifted. "Who might he be entertaining at this early hour?"

"I believe it is a matter of state, my lady. Immediately following breakfast, he summoned Heard Antipas."

Procula sat up abruptly. "Herod? Here? But why?"

"I know not, mistress."

Both hands went to cover her eyes. Leah feared she was going to suffer another painful spell. "My lady?"

"This can bring no good." She lowered her hands and examined Leah with a troubled expression. "You must observe them and bring me a report of this meeting."

"But I have no reason to intrude, mistress."

"My orders are your reason."

"How am I to gain entrance?"

Procula rubbed her forehead again. When she looked up, Leah realized she had a plan. Leah inwardly prayed to all gods, known and unknown, that it would be a plan with even a hope of success. If Pilate felt he was being spied upon, her life would be in extreme danger, whether or not she was his niece. That she was only carrying out his wife's orders afforded no protection.

"You shall serve them. Say that I have ordered them wine. For Herod, it is never too early in the day."

"But Pilate has his wine steward --"

"Greet Herod in my name and say I ordered it. If that sounds improper, my husband will attribute it to my illness. And linger," continued Procula. "Linger in the alcove behind the curtains until you know whereof they speak."

Leah bowed and turned, trembling. Her mistress was once again rubbing her forehead. "Trouble. Trouble. No end to trouble," Leah heard her murmuring.

Leah shifted the tray she was carrying and held her breath. She paused behind the crimson tapestry that covered the entrance to Pilate's audience chambers. All of the palace's formal chambers had windows facing the sea, and on this early morning the draft carried a noticeable chill. She put down the tray on the table next to the doorway. With only the slightest movement of her hand, she was able to shift the heavy drape just enough to observe the two men. Neither man glanced her direction. Pilate was pacing while Herod reclined on one of the velvet lounge chairs.

Herod lifted a plum from the golden tray and examined it idly. "What do you make of these rumors?"

Pilate continued his pacing. "I know not."

"I do wish you would sit. It is most difficult to speak to someone constantly moving about."

Pilate dropped into his chair. From her hidden position Leah thought his eyes appeared dark and haunted.

"Frankly," Herod said, "you look ghastly. Are you not well?"

Pilate rubbed a hand down his face. "I have not slept."

"It is troubling you, then?"

For a moment there was no answer. Then with the slightest nod Pilate admitted the truth. "That and Procula. Her health has been threatened, and by this same hazard."