Chapter 10

Alban and Linux left the ruined village before dawn. At midday they began the long climb into the Judaean hills. When they crested the final rise, Jerusalem spread out before them, adorning the highest hill like a polished stone crown. The city wall was burnished by the afternoon sun so its reflection hurt the eyes. The  scene struck Alban as belonging to some higher world, beyond the touch of mortals.

Linux reined in beside him, gave him a long look, and snorted. "Wait until you've been there a few days. Then you'll know this place for the snake pit it is."

Linux's cynicism could not quench Alban's wonder. They turned into the Kidron Valley, the city wall towering high to the left. They passed an assortment of structures so ancient they appeared to have grown naturally from the dust and the stone, as large as temples yet with neither door nor inner sanctum. "What are these?"

Linux did not bother to glance over. "Tombs. Kings and prophets and such. From the time when Judaea ruled itself."

An alert sentry saluted them through the Lion's Gate. The ancient portal opened into a lane that was nearly empty of life. The only people who walked this cobblestoned lane were soldiers, a few merchants, and women who smiled invitingly as they passed. But up ahead they could see a cross street teeming with people and animals.

Linux halted at stables across from the main portal to Antonia Fortress. "The city is so crowded during the festival season we will make better time by foot."

"But this street is quiet."

"You'll see." Linux greeted the stable master by name and made certain the man understood these mounts belonged to Pilate himself. The man assured Linux he would care for them personally. Linux turned to Alban. "Baths or business?"

"I want to see this Joseph without delay."

"It may be wise. No doubt the Sanhedrin has spies in Pilate's household, and they could reach him first."

He and Linux left their saddle bags and set off. The closer they came to the first juncture of roads, the louder grew the din. To Alban's eye, it appeared they approached a solid wall of humanity. He turned to Linux to question him again about the contrast between the activity ahead and the quiet lane they were traversing.

Linux pointed to a set of polished double doors. "These leas to Pilate's new baths," he said, raising his voice to be heard, "dedicated to the emperor Tiberius. The Sanhedrin were outraged. Called them a desecration of their holy city. For once Pilate stood firm. Would not relent. No self-respecting Judaean will even set foot on this lane."

When they turned the corner the two were instantly trapped in a seething mass. Alban understood why Linux had left the horses at the fortress stables. Neither horse nor cart could have maneuvered through this throng. Their Roman uniforms granted them a tight ring of space, however, though the people they passed never looked their way. The Judaeans did their best to pretend the Romans did not even exist.

Linux led them up one hill and down another, turning to the right and left until Alban wondered if he was in the Golan caverns. The city itself seemed astonishingly clean, and the normal stench he associated with packed humanity did not assault him here. Almost everyone he passed seemed remarkably unsoiled, their garments tidy, their faces clean. When Alban mentioned it to Linux, his companion remained unimpressed. "These Judaeans are as fanatical about washing as they are about everything else. Which makes their complaints about our own baths even more absurd."

"Ritual baths are part of the Judaeans' religion," Alban mentioned. "They disapprove of our habit of opening the baths to men and women alike." This information was based on his interactions with the Capernaum leaders up north. Alban endured Linux's odd look and changed the subject. "I've never known crowds like this."