Chapter 3

Saturday October 28, 00:25

After a pleasant evening in the café, the holidays have officially started well. Everyone seems ready for a week of rest and enjoyment. However, I suddenly see Anaïs looking at her watch with a worried face. Without a moment's hesitation, she hurriedly gathers her things and tells us that her last bus is about to leave and that she cannot afford to miss it. Deciding to call it a day as well, I join her on the way out. "Bye! I'm going to catch my bus," Anaïs exclaims hastily as we step outside. "Bye," I reply quickly, my eyes searching for my bike. But it is nowhere to be found. "Fuck, no! Idiots!" I mutter in frustration. Anaïs turns to see what's wrong. "What?" she asks. "My bike has been stolen..." I reply, pointing to the empty space where my bike should be. A mischievous grin appears on Anaïs' face as she laughs at me. "Wasn't that my bike?" she asks teasingly. I come closer and say, "You were too pussy to claim it." "I wouldn't have got very far if it is stolen already..." Anaïs points out. I look at the empty spot and to be honest I have to admit that she has a point. "What can I say? Karma's a bitch. But that's life, I guess: Take it or be taken," Anaïs teases me with a strong attitude. She catches me using my own words against me, leaving me speechless for a moment. I stare at her in disbelief, yet amused. I can take this teasing, I kinda like it. Undeterred, Anaïs looks down at me before turning to continue her walk towards the bus stop. As I no longer have a bike, I decide to accompany her. "Where's the bus stop?" I ask curiously. "Five minutes, hurry up," Anaïs urges me, already breaking into a run.

As we run into the street near the bus stop, Anaïs runs ahead of me, playfully shouting, "Come on, you slowpoke!" I reply with a grin and pick up the pace. "Just wait, I'll catch up in no time!" I say confidently. In the distance we see the bus approaching, raising our hopes. But just as we're about to reach it, the driver abruptly closes the doors and drives off. Anaïs sighs in disappointment and says, "Well, great." I stroke my hair in frustration. Stupid bus driver! In an attempt to make things better, I suggest we go to the snack bar at the corner. Anaïs is not immediately enthusiastic about the idea. "Maar allé, that will make us stronger. So next time we will catch that bus," I try to persuade her. Anaïs raises an amused eyebrow, sceptical of my argument. "Oh, really?" she asks in a teasing tone. "Absolutely!" I assure her, determined to turn the situation around. Smiling, Anaïs finally agrees: "OK, let's try it."

Saturday October 28, 00:36

Anaïs and I are sitting at the snack bar, enjoying our Belgian fries with a frikandel and a cold Coke. We realise that it is already late, as we are the only customers in the snack bar. Still, the oily smell of the fries and the music in the snack bar provide the perfect background for an informal chat.

"Fuck, this is so delicious!" I say to Anaïs as I joyfully eat a fry. Anaïs smiles and says "Enjoy it, because we still have an hour to walk," I let out a deep sigh, "That bus driver definitely saw us. What an asshole." Anaïs nods in agreement. Looking at her, I notice something. Anaïs still has her make-up on, while I am convinced that she does not wear it in front of her parents. As I stare at her, I see that Anaïs is a little uncomfortable with my staring. She asks what is going on. "Don't you have to take it off?", I ask directly. Not knowing exactly what I mean, she asks for more clarity, "What do you mean?". "You put on your make-up on the bus to school and hardly wear anything at home," I explain. Anaïs looks away. "What's the matter? Daddy can't know that his daughter wears purple eyeliner?" I ask, sensing the truth. Anaïs seems a little irritated by my question. She sighs. "'Drop it," she says, looking down at her plate. "Is this your way of rebelling? Cute," I continue, grinning. "At least it doesn't bother anyone," Anaïs replies, turning to me, clearly implying that she finds my form of rebellion annoying. Once again she silences me. I laugh and continue to eat.

All of a sudden, the shopkeeper of the snack bar approaches me. With a sly grin on his face, he interrupts our small talk and asks "Would you like one of mine?". Not quite understanding exactly what he wants to achieve, I ask "Excuse me?" "Or come with me to my dorm for another one. My shift is almost over," he continues. My discomfort grows. Before answering, I exchange an uncomfortable look with Anaïs. Full of disbelief, I reject him, "Uhm. No. No." "Come on, just one," he tries to insist. "Uhm, I... No, thank you," I clarify as I nod 'no'. I feel a lump in my throat at the way this man is trying to insist. Disgusting. Luckily, he takes the hint, "Okay. You guys are going to pay then? Because we are about to close," he says. I can't resist replying teasingly, "Right away. Just one more sausage," as I wink and take a bite of my frikandel. The man is irritated by my answer and calls me a bitch. Full of disbelief, I look at Anaïs, "What the fuck?!". I notice that Anaïs is feeling very uncomfortable now. A short distance away, the bartender and his colleague are laughing at us. I can't let this go on and decide to do something about it. Enough. I turn to Anaïs and say with a mischievous grin, "Come on, run." "What?" Anaïs asks, not really understanding what I am trying to say. "Yes. Run. Come on. Now," I clarify as I grab her hand and pull her along out of the snack bar. "But we haven't paid yet!", she says confused. This girl really is too good for the world.