Chapter 6

Saturday November 18, 00:02

The sound of the police car behind us makes my heart race like a mad drum. I feel the adrenaline rushing through my veins as I tighten my grip on the handlebars of the mini scooter. Anaïs clings to my waist, her nails almost digging into my jacket. I can feel her anxiously turning her head to see how far the police car is from us. One thing's for sure, we need to get out of here as soon as possible. I keep my eyes on the road, looking for a way out.

Suddenly I see that the gate to the Plantentuin is still open. "Come on, this way," I call as I swing the handlebars around the corner towards the dark entrance. Anaïs and I jump off the scooter and I drop it onto the bumpy cobbles of the entrance. We quickly take cover behind the fence, which is high enough to keep us out of sight.

The police car following us, with its sirens blaring, slows down just in front of us. Its headlights light up the road and the light from the police beacon partially illuminates the Plantentuin. Our breathing is rapid and our hearts are pounding as we stare down the road, waiting for the police car to leave.

A long minute later, the police car finally drives off. A wave of relief washes over me. We made it. "Damn, that was close," I whisper in relief. "Close, what the hell? It's a hit and run," Anaïs says angrily. "I just ran a red light," I try to calm her down. "If those cops-" Anaïs continues. "If they see us here, yes, then we're screwed," I finish her sentence. "But-" Anaïs tries again, but I don't let her finish, "Running a red light, drunk, with two people on that scooter, do you know how many offences that is? I saved your ass, come on," I say, trying to convince her to get out of here as quickly as possible. If we get caught then this could go badly wrong for me. I take her hand and pull her along, "Allé, come on," I say. "And what about the scooter? The police can trace it back to my dad, can't they?" Anaïs says in a panic. "But they have other things to do. Allé, come on, now," I try to calm her down.

We make our way through the quiet, dark streets, Anaïs' hand in mine. I lead her through side streets and alleyways, away from the main roads where the police might still be looking for us. I see the worry in her eyes. I understand her concern. It was reckless of me to run the red light. "Sorry," I acknowledge my mistake, "I should have stopped." Anaïs halts and looks me in the eye. I see that she appreciates my apology. "It's fine, nothing happened, thank God. But don't do it again, okay?" Anaïs says before putting her arms around me and giving me a warm hug. When we pull away, we look lovingly into each other's eyes. "Come on, I'll walk you home," I say as I start to walk again.

When we arrive at Anaïs' place, we see that the lights are still on. Samuel must just have returned from the football match he went to with his friends. "Will I see you tomorrow?" I ask. "I'd like that, could you come here after lunch? To 'study' with me?" asks Anaïs with a twinkle in her eye. I giggle. "Yes, to 'study'..., sounds good!" I reply with a wink, knowing that's definitely not what she means. I give her a quick goodbye kiss. "Text me when you get home," Anaïs whispers. "I will," I say before heading home.

Saturday November 18, 12:04

It's a beautiful autumn day. The footpaths are filled with leaves from the trees that line the streets. I love the sound as I walk through them. I'm on my way to Anaïs' as I check my messages. Otis has posted a message on the Club '07 group chat, *Hi guys! So, tomorrow is the lazy Sunday party for my birthday at the cafe! Starts at 17h. Be there and be fabulous,* he writes. I let him know I'll be there and put my phone away as I approach Anaïs' house.

Before I even get to the doorbell, the door swings open. Anaïs's father, Samuel, appears, dressed in jogging clothes with his running shoes on. I notice his surprised expression. "Hi, Samuel," I greet him with a convincing smile, "I'm here to study with Anaïs. Is she home?" Samuel looks at me in surprise, as if he's still processing my presence. "Oh, uh... yes, of course. Come in, Bobbie," he says, stepping aside to let me in. I smile gratefully and enter the house. The atmosphere is slightly awkward. I haven't seen him since I disappeared from dinner a few weeks ago, and he seems to remember that too. "Anaïs is upstairs in her room, I'm going for a run, but make yourself at home," Samuel says as he closes the door behind him.