Chapter 4

I had a quiet few days, the volleyball team were leaving me alone for the most part. I could see them training on the fields at the end of the day, but they had not approached me again. I had also not heard anything from the principal; fortunately, as I do not know how I would react to being cornered like that again.

A week after the confrontation I received an email from the volleyball department. I try to ignore it as I make my way through my day. But it haunts me, waiting in my inbox for me to give it the attention it wants. After completing all my tasks for the day, I sit down again, opening the email, it's words filling the screen.

"Miss Isabella Carpenter,

We are sending you this correspondence regarding the meeting from last week.

The volleyball team in its entirety are apologetic about the way in which the situation was handled and would like to extent their remorse for their actions. We have agreed that, if you wish, the team will leave you be and no longer contact you.

In saying this, we would like to extend an invitation to you to join our team in any capacity you feel comfortable with.

Regards

The Shiratorizawa Men's Volleyball Team"

"Apologetic"? Didn't think those boys could be apologetic. But at least it is something.

Their title intrigues me though. Opening the web browser, I type it into the search bar. Article after article lines the screen, each heading detailing the achievements of the team. Just from skimming the ones on the first page I can tell that they have been highly decorated for years now. Opening a few of the more interesting articles I get to reading.

Stories of these boys draw me in, time passes without me knowing as I learn more about the team trying so hard to get my attention. Their local wins paint them as heroes, young men with the skills to go pro; their national level loses show the cracks, the struggles of the sport. It's crazy how different the story is between wins and loses are portrayed. After finishing the sixth article I glance at the time, it's getting late, so I decide to leave my research for tomorrow and close my computer. After cleaning up my desk I lock up the stables and start up the walkways to my dorm.

The silence of the night both soothes me and makes me anxious. Some lights are still on in windows as I walk along but for the most part the campus is dark. The silence allows my thoughts to run their course.

I can't decide what to do about this team. The only interactions I have had with them have not been good, but I get the feeling that the school puts them on an almost impossibly high podium, holding expectations of them that are challenging to meet. The one that found me at the stables seemed like he was actually nice, he just didn't approach me in the right way. Maybe I have been to harsh on them, I didn't give them a chance to actually talk to me, I saw what I thought I knew and took it as fact.

Pulling out my phone I open the school's sports program, scanning through all the sports clubs I find the men's volleyball team. Opening the link, I see a banner at the top of the page. The words "All practices are closed to spectators" sit in bold, drawing one's attention as soon as the document loads. Scrolling down brings me to the team's timetable and a list of all the members, photos beside each of their names. Seeing that they will be in one of the gyms tomorrow I decide to plan my day out so that I can watch their practice. If I can get to know the team better without having to interact with them too much, I should be able to better decide if I want to work with them.

_*_*_*_

By the time the final bell rang for the day I had completed all the important tasks I wanted to get done. Stepping out into the cool air I wander my way up to the volleyball gym. There is no sound coming from inside yet, so I take the chance to get in and find a spot to, hopefully, not be spotted. Just as I sit down a side door opens, a man walks in heading towards the benches at the side of the court. I watch as he places some things down, organising them before straightening back up. His eyes scan the room, missing me initially but doubling back to lock onto me. I realise in that moment that the man is Captain Ushijima and he just found me.

He takes a glance towards the door he came through and slowly starts to walk in my direction. I watch for a moment before I make a move to get up.

"Wait, please." His voice travels up to me, the gruffness is softened from when I last heard it. I must have hesitated as when I look to him again, he is closer, almost right in front of me. "Please don't leave."

"I don't want to talk, I'll just leave."

"You don't have to leave." The words are rushed as his body rocks in my direction. He takes a pause before folding at the hips. "I am very sorry for my actions the last time we met. I realise now that we did not approach the meeting properly."

"Stand up, I don't need you to bow to me. I was hoping that no one would notice me." He straightens up, a confused look on his face. I decide to answer his question before he gets a chance to ask it. "I wanted to see what you lot were about before I committed to anything. I was hoping no one would notice me so I wouldn't have to talk to you."

"Well ... if you would like to stay and watch I can tell the boys to leave you alone. But only if you want, I-WE don't want you to feel uncomfortable." His eyes lower to the floor as he speaks. He almost seems to be trying to make himself appear less intimidating, but even standing lower than me on the stairs I can tell that he is huge; tall and broad, an imposing figure.

"Are you sure that they won't bother me. You don't have the best track record for that." I hold eye contact, ensuring that he hears my words. "Not a word, I get to make up my mind in my own time. Deal?"

His eyes pierce through me as he listens, taking in every word. "Deal." Sounds start to make their way through the door to us. Seems like the rest of the team are on their way. Surely they must be late by now. "I'll go tell the team. Please, make yourself comfortable, our practices tend to run quite long. And if you have any questions, you are free to ask anyone you feel comfortable with."

He steps back down the stairs and towards the door just as the voices of the rest of the team get louder and the door cracks open. I move back to my place in the corner I watch as Ushijima speaks with his team. A few cast their gazes in my direction before all simultaneously snapping back to Ushijima. Looks like the team respect him a lot if they listen to him so easily.

As time goes on, they move through their warmups and into practice. In no time they are all sweating and taking regular water breaks. At no time does even one of them look in my direction, all taking their captains words as law. Once they start their cool downs, 2 hours later, I get up and leave, heading back down to finish the horses.

Attending the volleyball practice becomes a part of my normal routine. Each passing day I learn more about the team, linking names to faces to personalities. The younger members have high respect for the seniors, but the seniors to not look down on them. I also take the chance to learn more about the sport, the rules, positions, and some tactics. I'm certainly not an expert but it is all starting to make sense.