Mirrors

CHAPTER ONE: LYDIA

"Shotgun!"

"I hate you, Percy." Lydia grumbled, begrudgingly crawling into the backseat.

Percy poked her cheek through the window, and Lydia slapped his hand away. With a laugh, he took his seat in the front, sighing loudly. "Man, it's so roomy over here."

Lydia kicked his seat in annoyance, and they started shouting at each other like children.

"Are you guys fighting again?" Sally chided, sliding into the driver's seat and starting the car. "C'mon, Percy, be a gentleman."

"Yeah, Percy, be a gentleman." Lydia teased.

Percy threw his hands up in the air. "You always take her side—"

Why does he even try? Shes the favorite child and she wasn't even Sally's child?!

"Whatever." He grunted.

It was the Friday before winter break, Sally had helped Lydia and Percy pack an overnight bag and a few deadly weapons and took them to a new boarding school.

They didn't get expelled from their school (yet) or anything, they were just on their way to answer a distress call from Grover.

It was literally a distress call.

During one of Lydia and Percy's many late night rendezvous in the kitchen, Grover had Iris-messaged them. It must've been later than 3 a.m, because Lydia is basically sleepwalking after 3 a.m. The munchies can't be stopped though.

Lydia was going at it with a can of whipped cream on the counter, while Percy stuffed an entire wheel of cheese in between two slices of bread, when Grover's face manifested out of thin air.

After that, Lydia doesn't remember much. Percy had to tell her about it the next morning. The whole thing felt like a fever dream, but she knew it was the truth because she woke up with clumps of whipped cream on her shirt.

They picked up Annabeth and Thalia on the way. It was an eight-hour drive from New York to Maine. Sleet and snow pounded the highway. Lydia was pumped to see Annabeth again, but everyone looked really tense, so they didn't talk much.

So, Lydia got bored and slept the whole ride there.

⊹₊。ꕤ°₊⊹

Annabeth shook Lydia awake when they'd reached their destination. Thalia wiped the fog off the car window and peered outside.

"Oh, yeah. This'll be fun." She grinned.

Lydia followed her lead and looked outside, but their reactions were not the same. The place looked like something right out of Scooby Doo. It looked like an evil knight's castle. She shuddered.

Westover Hall was all black stone, with towers and slit windows and a big set of wooden double doors. It stood on a snowy cliff overlooking this big frosty forest on one side and the gray churning ocean on the other.

"Are you sure you don't want me to wait?" Sally asked.

"No, thanks, Mom," Percy said. "I don't know how long it will take. We'll be okay."

"But how will you get back? I'm worried, Percy."

"It's okay, Ms. Jackson." Lydia said, stretching her sleepy limbs. "I'll take care of him."

Percy gave her a look through the corner of his eyes. He was Percy, the macho man! He didn't need Lydia taking care of him. A flush crept up his neck. Clearly, his body disagreed. He loved her attention.