A Thorn in Their Behinds

CHAPTER TWO: LYDIA

Now, Lydia didn't know what kind of monster Dr. Thorn was, and to be frank, she didn't want to find out. Her main priority right now was to make sure Percy and the di Angelo kids were safe.

"What are you doing, Jackson?" hissed Dr. Thorn. "Keep moving!"

Percy opened his eyes and kept shuffling forward.

"It's my shoulder," he said, sounding miserable. "It burns."

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

Lydia felt kind of relieved he wouldn't die but she wasn't exactly a fan of seeing Percy like this. She wrapped an arm around his waist. He didn't need her help walking, but he welcomed her closeness.

Thorn herded them outside, and Percy started to turn green. Literally. Lydia tried to stay close to him in case anything happened, but not too close in case he decided to barf all over her cute sweater. Once they got away from Dr. Thorn, Lydia would give him some of her ambrosia.

They took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. The wind blew harshly, Lydia shivered.

"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said. "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

"Silence, you insufferable girl!"

"Don't talk to my sister that way!" Nico said.

His voice quivered, but it was impressive that he had the guts to say anything at all. Lydia felt this sense of déjà vu, like Nico was familiar.

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. It made the hairs stand up on the back of her neck, but she forced herself to keep walking and pretend to be a good little captive.

"Halt," Thorn said.

The woods had opened up. They'd reached a cliff overlooking the void. It was pitch black, and Lydia didn't want to be anywhere near it. Dr. Thorn pushed them toward the edge. Percy stumbled, and Lydia caught him.

"Thanks," he murmured.

"Are you okay?" she whispered. "How do you feel?"

"I'll be okay." He replied, equally quiet. "Listen, I'm trying to get to Grover."

"What? How?"

Before Percy could reply, Nico mumbled, "I'm scared,"

He was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind. Lydia turned to him.

"Don't worry, we'll make sure nothing happens to you." She gave him a reassuring smile. "I know karate."

She didn't.

"Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said. "Face me!"

They turned. Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first Lydia thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package—it is ready to deliver."

There was a garbled reply, and she realized Thorn was in walkie-talkie mode. This was certainly new, and really creepy—a monster using a mobile phone.

Percy glanced behind him, and Lydia knew what he was thinking. Oh, so, you did it once and you'll do it again? Over Lydia's dead body. No one's jumping off of cliffs today, mister.

It seemed Dr. Thorn had the same idea because he laughed and said, "By all means, Son of Poseidon. Jump! There is the sea. Save yourself."

"What did he call you?" Bianca muttered.