Chapter 7: The Bully and The Wolf

'Where am I?'

The small-time criminal looked around quizzically before his memories caught up with him. That's right... All Might was here and the villain was currently in a bottle.

'Damn! That bastard! If not for him, I could've...'

His thoughts stopped short when he was violently kicked to the side. Hitting something that felt like a wall, the bottle cap popped off and he was free. He was about to high tail it out of there when he heard a passing conversation.

"Haven't you known him since you guys were kids?"

"Yeah I think you went a little too far today. Is no one going to mention that look in his eyes though? Thought he was gonna pounce on us or something." Mutant fingers reached forward to grab a smoke. The other lackey lightly ran his fingers over his scarred ear when Blasty McGee growled.

"Yeah well it was Deku's fault for messing with me! Seeing him full of dreams just like when we were kids really pissed me off!" He crushed the can in his hands before exploding it and chucking it at the other two lackeys. "I thought I told you to stop smoking! Get caught and it'll go on my record too!"

The lackeys flinched, but as mutant fingers pointed behind him, he knew it wasn't because of his power and words. As Bakugou stood still, he heard the rushing of liquid behind him and a voice before he suddenly couldn't breathe.

"A body with a good quirk... perfect."
———————————————————————
'Scary...' Izuku thought to myself as he took a shaky breath. He took a glance at All Might, who had his back towards them and by the looks of it, he wasn't happy. "Of all the...hopefully the people downstairs will help us get down. I've no time though. Truly!"

Izuku flinched but started talking anyway, "Wait! Um..."

"No I will not wait!" All Might sounded mad. No...

He sounded scared.

Izuku surged forward and asked the question he'd hope to ask any other hero. "Even without a quirk...can I still become a hero?" Izuku asked, making All Might stop in his tracks. He waited but All Might trailed off, so he decided to explain.

"I'm a normal kid without any powers, and I have an ability that isn't even considered a quirk at all. I've been picked on my entire life and I even accidentally hurt a classmate..." Izuku fiddled his thumbs together nervously only to stop and look up and explain, "The way you save people with a smile, I want to do that... just like you do!"

Izuku stopped short of the sight in front of him. It was All Might, they smelled the same, but he was all shrivelled up and skinny and gaunt and... smelled of blood and death.

Izuku had to cover his nose and try not to gag as the smell overpowered his senses. "What in the name of the Triple Goddess happened to you?!"

"You know how people suck in their gut at a pool? It's like that..." All Might explained as he wiped blood from his mouth.

"Oh, never thought of it like that..." Izuku let out a 'huh' in response and All Might stared at him in surprise.

"I... kinda suck in my gut, too. But I only stop when I sleep," Izuku said, deciding to secretly share his Wolfwalker secret. It was subtle enough, considering All Might seemed to have confused look. "I'd rather not say anything more than that..."

All Might nodded, understanding. He felt like this kid understood him, so he sat down and explained what happened to him, giving the boy closure. "Five years ago...an enemy did this to me." All Might sighed as he lifted up his shirt. He took a glance at the boy only to find him shrink back in horror. So, he doesn't like wounds. "It's gross, I know. My respiratory system was nearly destroyed, and my stomach was removed. I've wasted away because of the after effect of those surgeries. I can only work as a hero for about three hours a day now."

"This was never made public. That is, I asked that it not be made public." The greenette nodded in consideration and made a gesture as if to say, 'Does it hurt?'

"A symbol of peace who saves people with a smile...must never be daunted by evil." The boy made a face as if to say, 'That's not what I asked.'

"The reason I smile is to save off the overwhelming pressure and fear I feel. A pro should be always ready to risk their lives."

Then Izuku gestured to himself. All Might sighed and hoped that the kid didn't think too lowly of him after what he was about to say.

"Without power, which is what you yourself is aiming for, right?" All Might asked as he looked towards Izuku. "To never use it?" Izuku nodded and seemed to hold in his breath. "Without power, can one become a hero? No, I think not."

Even if the greenette tried not to show it, he looked defeated and broken. He let out something akin to a whimper and sighed before nodding slowly. He turned away and let out a sob, wanting nothing more than his pack to give him a comforting hug.

"If you desire to help people, becoming a police officer is always an option. Those villain custody officers are always mocked, but it's admirable work," All Might suggested as he got up towards the door and opened it. He looked over his shoulder with guilt but continued. "It's not wrong to dream, but... you need to be realistic, kid." All Might shut the door with a sigh and left it unlocked for the boy.

All Might shook his head and stayed focused on the task at hand.

'Time to get this guy to the authorities.'

He reached for the bottle only to find nothing there. He froze, before quickly checking both pockets, hoping to find it.

A loud 'BOOM' caught his attention and he winced. Oh no...