Part 8: connect the dots

RENNIE'S POV

It had been a-few days since James had come over. And contact had been minimal since then, she thought. As She groaned as the kettle boiled rather loudly in her small Brighton apartment.

She had probably scared him off. Made him believe she thought they could be something more. Now he must feel so awkward being around who he once considered a friend, now someone he felt sorry for. Rennie was certain she had it figured out.

It was 2:45 in the after noon on a Saturday weekend. For days till the tour began, and they would fly to Paris for the first show.

No matter now exiting this concept was to her, of flying around Europe with the man she secretly loved, she couldn't help but feel gloomy. Just going through the motions of the day as the hours crawled by, again and again.

She averted her attention from her daydreaming to the video she should probably make.

It was probably the first time in weeks Rennie had felt exited about filming

She sat down at her computer with a Kinder Bueno in one hand and her mouse in the other, as she joined the discord call that would soon turn into a reaction video.
This wasn't an idea she'd tried before, but the group seemed exited to try out something new.

As soon as she joined there was a series of
HI! And RENNITA!! As they all greeted her warmly, despite barely knowing her as a person.
She smiled behind her screen, as she saw Jack, Wilbur, Charlie, Tommy and... wait. Tommy. Shit.

Tommy spoke up over the greetings.
"Renna, can we talk after this?"
"Yes. I'll come to yours." She replied.
Jack spoke up.
"Wait... do you both know each other... like personally?"
"Yes" Tommy replied, a little awkwardly. "You didn't know? We've known each other since year 8, mate" he said, acting like it was common knowledge how close they where, when they had never mentioned it.

"So... you've met up before? I mean... you've seen each-other in person??" Wilbur asked.

Rennie finally spoke up for herself.

"Yeah... haha. He knows what I look like and stuff like that, you know."

A slightly awkward tension was built up in the call, for whatever reason. She had known these people since the DSMP, and nothing like this had happened. Ever.

But they eventually warmed up again, and filmed what they thought was a pretty decent
Recording. With Charlie saying the odd thing that makes the group cackle with laughter, and Tommy saying something so outlandish, the group was speechless, and slightly traumatised. Needless to say, everyone had a good time.

But when the call was about to end, James suddenly joined, Making Renn jump out of her skin.

Another collective greeting came from the group.

"Sorry, just dropping by the call. You're on my stream though!"

Rennie was scared, to say the least.
There was a chance James could recognise her voice. And her cover would be blown.

She wasn't sure why this double-life was so important to her... maybe it's the risk of him leaking her true identity to the public. Especially going on tour with him. The chances where high. And her fear was higher.
James has now ended his stream.

Wrapping it
up with a raid and the usual threat.
Now no one was filming, it was just the boys and Rennie.

Then James singled Rennie out.
Almost as if he was testing the waters, trying to figure out ways to link both his Rennie's together.

"Hi Ren!" He said.
She responded with another hi.

"Can I tell you something... I met someone called Rennie last week." He stated, playfully.

Now it was just him and Ren talking, everyone  else was silent.

"Oh?"

"Yeah. She was really fucking shy at first. But, there's something about her." James said, as if he was thinking, gazing into the distance.

"Yeah?"
"Yeah."

"Anything else about her?"

Rennie asked, realising she could hear opinions about herself through an unknowing James. On the other end of the call. Or as Rennie now knows, just ten minutes down the street from her.

James responded.

"The thing is, I don't know what the actual fuck is happening." He sigh.
"Of course it's completely platonic. But... we...never mind."

The whole group was incredibly curious about this other 'Rennie' girl.
Ren spoke up.

"James..."
"Yeah?"

"If you like her, James... make a move. You don't know unless you try. Start flirting. See what happens"

"But Ren"

Rennie smiled. That was the same nickname he had given 'his' Rennie. Of course James had no clue she was the same one.

"What?"

"Umm, she's coming on my tour, playing the electric guitar for weeks with me. Hell, we'll be on the same bus for days and days."

Rennie replied,

"Be subtle."

The call had been silent for a minute.

"Rena?" Tommy asked, sounding stern, serious.
"Call me privately. Right now. We need to talk."

Ohhh fuck. Rennie thought. He had connected the dots...