Chapter 4

Lucas

I felt like I was touching silk when I held her soft and small hand as if I could wrap both her hands with only one of mine. The lingering feeling that came from the contact was unexplainable, and I still felt it when I opened the door to my office.

In all that rainbow and sunshine, one thing was for certain – I liked it.

"Are you done?" Came the most annoying voice in the entire world and I stiffened. I had forgotten all about Lynn during my tour with the girls.

I ignored her and made my way around the large table to my bookshelf, all while she kept her gaze fixated on me without uttering a word. She was used to it by now, me ignoring her that is.

A loud thud came from the desk and Lynn put her legs on my table, revealing her thighs in the process.

Such a nuisance, I thought.

Ever since I discussed firing her with my Dad, she seemed to have gotten bolder as if she knew her days were numbered.
My mood soured at the thought and I glared at her from the corner of my eye.

I shoved Lynn's legs off the table and pulled her off my chair.

"I just want to talk Luke," she whined.

"Don't call me that," I growled. " Besides, what is there to talk about? I don't like you and that's that. We're both grown-ups here so please take a hint".

"Why did you have to go all over that newbie's face?" She asked ignoring what I had just yelled at her.

"Please get out".

"I won't if you don't tell me," she countered.

"Then you leave me no choice".

I grabbed her by the hands and pulled her right out of my office before closing the door in her face.

The moment my office was mine again, I switched on the diffuser to remove any lingering scent of Lynn in my room.

Why did she have to pretend like she didn't see the hints when they were so clear? So annoying.

That was exactly how my first-ever relationship started, with them pestering me until I obliged. Only it ended in the worst of scenarios, and relationships have since been like a curse to me.

I set aside the files I had to check for editing, and took on the contracts my father had sent me to sign; a villainous perk of having two roles at once that made work even more dreadful.

That's right, I was the vice president of Adder magazine companies, next in line to my Dad, and I was also the H.O.D of the beloved editorial department.

It was more so bait than I planned to take both roles at the company.

When my father betrayed me eight years ago, I decided to leave the office right next to him on the fifth floor and go down to the second floor to the office my mother had so cherished when she was alive - in the editorial department. But my hot-headed father just wouldn't allow me to step down from being his vice.

"You can't use that office, what about the head of the editorial department? What will they use?" He asked shamelessly back then. I still remember the cockiness and annoyance in his voice as he interrogated me, right in front of Lynn.