Three - Racing Into the Night

"Fuck this...if Kumiko gets entangled in this nightmare reverse-harem of hers...she'd suffer and I'd suffer even more from it. Better just to save her..." I sighed, wondering how I should plan this scenario out. If our dorm was going to be on fire, I need an excuse to be outside my dorm at night, but I can't think of any reason. Or I could potentially stop the fire on my own, but it never stated how the fire started... Dumb otome games, always making cliché moments for us to cringe at...yet we can never get enough it them.

I stared at the wall in my room and sighed. Getting up, I sat in the living room, deciding to just wait until the fire started. I put my hand on my head and rested on the arm of the couch, letting myself ease in, getting ready for the long night ahead. The moon shined its brilliant light, reflecting on the window, which created scary shapes, almost as if it was foreshadowing the dangers ahead. My dark, almost lifeless eyes started into it. 

It was sad. I escaped from one reality to the other, but neither are satisfactory. In one, I had a burden placed on me and I was expected to face it and I always dreamed of escaping that reality, but now that I have entered a fictional world that isn't so fictional anymore, I just find it tiring. I don't hate Kumiko, but I kinda just want to live a lazy life uninvolved with planning or thinking much. I just wanna feel relaxed like there isn't any stress on me. I just want someone to be there for me and to say that it's gonna be ok and that I'm not going to die anytime soon.

If only there was an easier option to make the guys not like Kumiko. In manhwa, if the villain tried ignoring the main character, she still had to deal with nonsense while meeting the male lead. If the villain tries gaining the love interests attentions, through hard work and shit like that, she'll only reach her demise...both require too much work and they don't get anything satisfactory in return. God dang it...couldn't I have been reincarnated as Student A or something? 

Well, it wouldn't matter, I probably would have still saved Kumiko anyway. In the game and in my life so far, she seems like an angel. A genuine angel, not one of those back stabbing bitches like manhwa portray them as. I just wish I could be friends with her and get along with her instead of plotting or fighting. Especially since I'm so attached to her. She's everything I would like to be...beautiful, kind, smart, and charismatic. I feel so gloomy and depressed inside...perhaps Yukiko was similar to me. She wanted and craved some sort of attention and I guess I was so lonely that I just started thinking similarly.

In Yukiko's mind, her world is utterly pitch black. It was as if I could almost feel her lost soul inside of me. In that pitch black world, she would just sit there and stare out into nothing. That pitch black was hatred, the pure embodiment of loathing and disgust built up inside her and rotting away. It was as if invisible ghastly hands were pulling her down into the deep heavy red liquid of envy.

Yukiko was not a good person...she was not an authentic friend, yet Kumiko always believed in her until it was too late. I think that's why I want to protect her. She's too innocent for these yanderes. Should I abort 'mission: live in denial' and change it to 'mission: save best girl Kumiko.' I just hope that whatever god who looks down at me can give me some pity and let me live peacefully for whichever path I choose.

Still, that doesn't solve anything, even if I were to help Kumiko. What can I even do? If I ignore them, they will chase after Kumiko. If I help Kumiko, they'll either kill me or deem me as not a threat, and then chase after Kumiko again. If I try to win their love, which I will ultimately fail at because I was single af in my previous life, they'll definitely kill me and then chase after Kumiko. Why the fuck does everything end with chasing after Kumiko!? Leave the poor girl alone! Therapy won't help either because those psychos are already fucked up!

I was pondering about more things when I suddenly smelled smoke. Shit, the fire has started and...it started in Kumiko's room...I looked around and located where she was. I see, the fire must've started because she was using a candle to read at night (which I don't understand why; we literally have the technology to use electricity yknow...guess she didn't want to waste money or something?) and then when it tipped over, the book caught on fire, which eventually spread to other places. Oh shit, that's Kumiko's favorite stuffies; I can't let those burn down. Grabbing a few of her prized possessions and books, I shouted to her.