Behind The Visor Of A Firefighter

The walk from the car to the fire station isn’t too bad just a bit on the nippy side which wouldn’t surprise me as its -2 degrease outside.  I push the stiff door open to be welcomed by a warm whoosh of air. As I step in I’m greeted by the sound of the alarms being tested.

“Morning guys,” I shout, being blocked out by the blaring alarms and the flashing blue lights. Someone else has just come in, I could tell by the cool air creeping up my legs, I have no idea who it is, but they’re late.

“Good morning Wolfe,” I turn to see the person who has snuck up behind me.

“Ah good morning Sir, how are you this morning?” I ask politely to the chief officer, station officer Storm.

“Very good thank you, Sir. What is the agenda for today?”  I ask so I can get ready for it.

“Oh not a lot just doing some paper work first then doing some stuff in the BA,” oh I love doing BA (Breathing Apparatus, for when we go into smoky buildings) it’s my favourite thing to do.

“Ok Sir,” I say as casual as I can manage. I then realise that the boys have stopped testing the alarms. And that they are on parade (when we do the, at attention and at ease, it just makes things easier to talk to them) I walk over to where they are lined up.

“Morning lads. Right today we are doing the usual paper work then we are off to do some BA work. Everyone happy with that?” I ask not really caring whether they do or not.

“Yes Miss!” I’m glad that they are happy with it otherwise they won’t like it.

“Good good. So let’s get upstairs and start the paper work, shall we?” I ask.

“5-1 attention, 5-1 fall out!” I command as I finish my sentence they all head towards the stairs chattering amongst themselves. Coming to think about it, it’s like being at school again. When we get upstairs we only just get to sit down when the bells go down and we have to go out on a call out.

“RIGHT LETS GO!” I shout as we all get up and run down stairs to our lockers. I go to the main office to pick up the information on what it is and where.

                  5-1 NEWQUAY FIRE STATION

ON CALL:

WOLFE

STORM

BRIDING

ARROW

BLUE

FIX

PLACE:

NEWQUAY MOUNT WISE ROAD

TR9 3XD

27 RED WALK

 CAR CRASH INTO THE SIDE OF A HOUSE.

 HOUSE ON FIRE.

6 POSSIBLE CASUALTIES.

I could tell as soon as I saw the sheet that we were going to need more people. So opened the draw labelled emergency and pulled out a little black bleeper and pressed dial all which is only used when we are desperate. And we really were desperate this time.

“Storm we’re going to need all of the on-call team we have a car crashed into the side of a house, along with the fire that has spread from the car to the house with 6 possible casualties!” I shout out. I run with the bleeper in my hand to my locker and grab my helmet, pop it on my head whilst holding the sheet of paper in my mouth. I put my leggings and tunic on and run over to the 1st away and give Storm the information before telling him that I’ll stay behind to make sure that we get everyone we need.