Day to Day Norm: Deleted Scene

Norm's POV

I was standing right outside of the mobile unit with Jake in my human body since my avatar had been shot in the shoulder. It was a good thing that I stayed here instead of running off because Simmens was able to find his way here. I had been able to keep him back until Jake came crashing down through the trees and killed him. But now... Now we had won and all that's left for us to do is get the rest of the human population to leave Pandora. I'd beable to continue my research and settle down with (Y/n), and maybe even have a couple of kids. I heaved a sigh of relief that it was all over and I sat down on the stairs.

Jake took a few steps away as he started talking to someone, probably Neytiri or (Y/n) since Tsu'tey is gone. Jake's face remained stoic for a moment, then shock, a quick flash of sadness as his eyes cut over to me, and finally his hand fell from his neck. He stood still for a moment before he took a deep breath and his head hung for a moment. He finally lifted his head as he turned to me and I looked at him confused.

"What's wrong, Jake?" I ask him as I try to read his expression. "Oh God... Is Neytiri okay?"

"Neytiri is alright. Colonel Quaritch is dead, he died protecting Neytiri." Jake said and finally looked me in the eye. "Norm... (Y/n)'s gone." Jake finally said quietly, and it felt like all the air had been knocked from my lungs. I'm sure that if I had been standing my legs would've given out from under me. Everything dulled out and a high-pitched ringing took over my hearing.

"You're..." I take a deep breath. "You're sure that she's gone?" I ask him quietly.

"I'm so sorry Norm. Neytiri is bringing her body to the Tree of Souls." Jake says. His ears are drooped and his eyes are filled with tears. "As her mate it's your job to... Prepare her for burial. I'll help since she claimed me as a brother."

After Jake ensured that my avatar had been treated for the gunshot wound in my shoulder, I linked with my avatar. The moment my consciousness was in my avatar I could feel it. The pain my avatar was feeling from losing (Y/n). I took a deep breath and got up from the mat I was lying on and walked in a sort of haze. Walking to the area Jake said (Y/n)'s body is in. The moment I got to the tent her body is in I hesitated to open the flap. A hand on my back startled me and I turned my head to find Jake.

"I'm with you the entire way." Jake says and gives me a small sad smile, and I take a deep breath as I open the flap. The shape her body was in was... grotesque. Bullet wounds riddle her torso and her blood is smeared from where large hands had picked her up. I drop to my knees beside her and reach out to her with shaky hands. A sob tears itself from my throat as my hands make contact with her cold skin. The tears are free flowing and the sobs are loud and painful. Tearing at my vocal cords like a thanator as my throat constricts, and my eyes burn with how many tears are escaping my eyes. So many different types of pain coursing through my body right now that I can't think clearly. The pain in my throat from the sobs, the pain in my eyes from the tears, the pain in my shoulder from where I was shot, but none of them compared to the pain in my tswin. The feeling of the severed connection is the worst pain I've ever felt. Both physically and mentally.

"I don't-" I started to try and speak but I couldn't. My throat was just too constricted for words to form.

"I know. I'm so sorry Norm." Jake says and sets two bowls of water down on either side of (Y/n)'s body and a rag in each bowl. A large bowl of water sat next to her head and for a moment all I'm able to do is stare at her. I picked up her arm and held her hand with both of mine... My beautiful mate. Jake goes to remove her top and I stop him.

"What are you doing?" I ask still feeling protective of her privacy.

"I'm removing her top so we can clean her." Jake says confused and I shake my head.

"Right... Sorry." I say and decide that I would be the one to remove her blood-soaked clothes. I look at her face and remember the first day I saw her in her avatar. Smirking next to Grace as I chased Jake through the avatar yard trying to get him to go back inside.

"If you need a moment you can take it. I can clean her if you need a breather." Jake says and I take a deep breath. Jake takes a moment to observe me and he sighs. "Norm... It's not healthy to try and bottle up your emotions."

His words broke a dam and everything I had been trying to hide came crashing. My chest tightened and I let everything pour out of me. The anger, the sadness, everything. Tears coated my cheeks, sobs tore through my vocal chords, and I held (Y/n)'s hand, desperately wishing for her to come back. Jake seemed surprised by my outburst but he quickly jumped over (Y/n)'s body and held me. To me, it felt like everything was falling apart around me. The world as I knew it was crumbling and I couldn't stop it. My lungs burned, my ears were ringing, my eyes ached, my throat is searing with pain as I think of all the good times with (Y/n), and how we won't beable to make anymore of those memories. All I had now was good memories and nobody to share them with...

But there's also Miles. He's only a baby and wouldn't remember either his sister or his father, but I could try my best to make him feel loved and appreciated. The way his sister would've tried to make him feel. I can't duplicate her loving personality, but I can try my best to treat him the way that she would have. My best chance to make her happy, and still have a connection to her.

'I have to make her proud.' I think to myself as I look at her face and I bring her hand to my lips and plant one last kiss on her knuckles. I let myself ride out this wave of pain, knowing that soon I would step out of it and dedicate myself to more than just my research.

Miles needs me, and I need him. I might not be his father, but I'll be the best big brother figure he could ask for. For both of our sakes.

1189 Words