It's all fair when it comes to love...

"My Lady, Oliver requests an audience with you", Stephano bowed before Portia. Nerissa glanced at her mistress and commanded, "Let him in." Oliver entered shortly and after convening his greetings, he moved on to the important matter, "My Lady, I have fished for information about young master Bassanio. Most of Venice seems to know him as Antonio's friend – his best kinsman. The two are rarely apart and I have heard from one of their close friends that Antonio loves the world only for Bassanio." Portia left her chair and walked to the window, "It is fine. Thank you but you may leave now." "Yes, Mistress. Any more orders?" After contemplating a while, Portia conceded, "Go to Naples. Search for a servant in the farms who goes by the name Guinevere." "Yes, my Lady." "Bring her here at any cost."

As Oliver left Nerissa came to stand beside Portia. "Are you sure that this will work?" "I don't know Nerissa. I will never know if I do not try. And I don't want to regret my decisions anymore." The two ladies continued staring out, watching the butterflies play in the garden. It was not that Portia was not guilty for using Bassanio's momentary affections as such, but he had someone to pick up his broken pieces. Hence, she planned the whole drama.

Luck favored her as Bassanio was clever enough to pick out the hints from the song and believed her façade of romance. Portia was not a vain woman. She had learnt to rule from an early age, well versed in reading people and their nature. Her plan solidified as Antonio lost his ships and seeing Bassanio devastated, she helped him rescue his best friend – thinking all the while that the man must have been too blinded by his infatuation of her to notice the true love in front of him.

Now that all the pieces were arranged in her favor, Portia began her real game against Fate. She was skeptical about Antonio's departure, but everything changed when Bassanio approached her after a few days.

The said man was breathing hard and fidgeted in his chair – Portia calmly waited for him to gather his bearings. Taking a deep breath, Bassanio started, "My gentle Portia, I live on the rack once more." She was worried – had Bassanio uncovered her intentions but carefully schooled her expressions. "Well then, I shall repeat my words – confess and live." "I realized that my affections lie with someone else, my lady. I am so sorry that I cannot love you as you deserve to be loved for my heart resides in another." "Is it Antonio?" Portia asked against her better judgement, but it was worth it to see Bassanio flustered and blushing.

"Very well. I have called you my husband, my lord and vowed to be at your side throughout your life. To be honest, I was wondering when you would realize your affections for the king Venetian merchant." Before Portia could continue any further, Bassanio spoke up, "You knew it all along!" "I had my suspicions. But it is all right. Everyone has the right to pursue the person of their affection. I support you in your endeavors. Now go and get your man before it's too late." "Thank you, Portia." Bassanio stood up and was about to leave when his wife called, "Tarry."

To relieve her guilt, Portia disclosed her plan to Bassanio. The man was shocked but agreed with her in the end because she did what she had to do. Wishing her luck to find her true lady love, Bassanio vowed, "I promise to stand by you. We can be friends who are always there for each other. To the society, we would be lovers but to ourselves and our closest circle, we can truly be ourselves." Giving Portia a parting hug, Bassanio exited her chambers in a hurry and boarded the fastest ferry to Venice – he had a man to court.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I could not bear Portia being heartbroken because of Bassanio as much I could not help not shipping him with Antonio. Portia is a fucking queen and she deserves everything.

This is heavily inspired by "The Tempest"....

Why should everything be controlled by men?

A shoutout to the first feminist writer Kate Chopin (This information is taken from "Echoes" book of ISC syllabus. I don't know the extent of its truth)! And take that haters - Portia is better off without Bassanio.