9. Infiltrated enemy

The Lady did not wait for Harry to inform her about the missing girls. She was aware that looking up names on a map was neither quick or easy, nor was it any use if the students were not at Hogwarts.

She had gotten the impression that the magic circle had tried to take her to another location, and furthermore, she had the feeling that Vaitiare might be a spy.

Therefore, she decided to leave Hogwarts to meet lord Voldemort.

"My lord, I am intrigued by your new plan," she said, trying to flatter him. "And while I never cease to be amazed by your brilliance, I wonder why you haven't informed me about the students you need. I could have provided them to you more discreetly and efficiently."

"Which students are you talking about?"

She explained the details of the disappearances, but he did not show his usual complacency.

"Dumbledore is deceiving you, I have not acted on Hogwarts, and I have not made any student disappear. If so, I would have informed you by now."

"My lord, I suspect that perhaps that veela may be involved in these events," she suggested.

"Vaitiare has entered Hogwarts under my orders," the Lady tried to hide her surprise at hearing that.

"She claims otherwise," she said cautiously.

"Her duty is to cast a spell on the professors and prevent them from interfering with the orders of the Ministry. This is the role she must play."

"My lord did not inform me about it."

"Do you question my way of proceeding?" Voldemort narrowed his eyes, dangerously.

"Never, my lord," she assured, appearing submissive. "But I could have helped Vaitiare. Plus, she's interfering with Snape's mission."

"Vaitiare knows perfectly well what she should do and does not need your assistance. And Severus has nothing to fear if he remains faithful to me."

"His loyalty is unquestionable, my lord."

"Then, don't bother me anymore with this matter," his tone of voice brooked no reply. "Instead, you should focus your efforts on investigating which of my death eaters is acting on their own, without following my orders."

"What do you mean, my lord?"

"Someone has decided to act on his own and has attacked a school in Scotland. Only I can order when and where to attack, and that kidnapping leaves us in evidence."

"What kidnapping are you talking about, my lord?"

"Have you not read the Daily Prophet?"

"I have not had the opportunity, my lord."

Voldemort made a copy appear at her feet.

"Investigate it."

***

Severus was not about to let the Lady forget about him so easily.

He knew she wouldn't risk giving herself away using magic, after three years of pretending to be a muggle, so he felt safe from any attack on her part. However, the house-elf worried him. House-elves could do some pretty unexpected things, and Win was taking it upon herself to prove it.

He had decided to rent a room on the island, so as not to attract the attention of the muggles, but as soon as he entered the room, he came face to face with the elf, who had appeared before him, surpassing all his security measures.

"Mr. Snape must leave the miss alone," she exclaimed in her squeaky voice.

"Does she send you?"