Chapter 17

***Authors note***

Above is a picture of the New World map, (I am aware that it is not the best). More about this will be brought up and explained in better detail at another time. 

This chapter has been edited.

***End of authors note***

Like the previous building, this one is brightly lit up on the inside. Other than that, the two buildings are entirely different.

The first building was a near empty canvas, but this one is a chaotic rats nest cluttered with papers all over the tables and walls. Papers carpet the six rectangular tables that line the four walls. Each table is so covered to the point that I can't tell what color they are.

On the back wall, there is a map of the whole town of Treegrass, with the carnival drawn onto the town. This has to be the room with the information Vesper told Aiden about.

As I step further into the room, I can't help but berate myself for my lack of caution since I did not consider the possibility of a guard being in here ready to shoot me. I make a mental note to change that, and then I turn my attention to the thousands of papers scattered across the nearest table.

Aiden's instructions echo in my mind. He said to look for anything about where they might be taking the carnival to next and to find a map. The school had shown us a map of the New World before, but it was too vast and complex to commit to memory. If I could steal a map for the Jumpers, then that would surely help them go to another town and warn them of what is coming.

The first table of papers is full of drawings of the games we played here. There are drawings of the rock wall, the triangles, the shark game, and more. Devin and I must have missed some of the games because there are a few drawings here that I do not recognize.

I flip through the papers to see if there is anything that could be useful on this table, and when I see nothing, I move on to the next.

The second table has papers with many people's names on them—just one list after another. I don't know who these people are or if they are important, so I take the notepad that Aiden gave me out of my back pocket and write down some of the names.

Izzy Soto

Leo Tyler

Georgina Donati

Issac Rowland

Karl Blackwood

Since I don't want to waste too much time, I stop writing down names and start looking through the papers again.

I shuffle through more and more papers and start getting frustrated by the New World's inability to be organized. How did they manage to kill us if they can't even get their documents in order? It's like being hunted by a raccoon, and somehow, the raccoon is winning.

After what seems like forever, I finally find a list of the names of the eighteen towns in the New World. Except this list only has seventeen town names. Of course, they would not include themselves. I quickly pull out Aiden's notepad again and write down the names in the order they appear on the list. I don't know if this is the exact order in which the deadly carnival will go, but I keep it in order just in case.

I put the paper down and look through the rest of the papers laying around. I come across a paper with Governor Davies' name written on it, titled Saving Life. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean because, from my perspective, it looks like he wants to take life since he is killing most of us. Who is he saving other than himself and the others in the town of Officials?