The Secret Ingredient

Title: The Secret Ingredient

In the heart of nowhere, amidst the eerie silence of Portage, Wisconsin, stood a worn-out bar and grille named "Richie's Retreat." Its neon sign flickered dimly, casting an ominous glow over the deserted highway. Inside, the scent of sizzling meat mingled with the musty air, enveloping the place in an unsettling ambiance.

Efrain, a skilled Mexican cook with weary eyes and a troubled mind, toiled tirelessly behind the grill. He had seen the best days of Richie's Retreat, but now, as the brink of foreclosure loomed over them like a dark cloud, he couldn't shake off the gnawing feeling of impending doom. He knew he would have to seek new employment soon. In its heyday, Richie's Retreat boasted a thriving business with a steady stream of new customers. Nowadays, the establishment barely generated enough revenue to keep the lights on. Efrain's loyalty to Richie was the only reason he stayed.

Richie Maroon, the owner, was a man of desperate ambition. His dark eyes gleamed with a frenzied determination as he unveiled his latest creation: the Mystery Burger. "It's got a great meat, and a secret sauce that'll keep 'em coming back," Richie declared with a manic grin, his voice echoing through the empty restaurant.

His advertising and almost manic determination paid off. Efrain watched in silent apprehension as customers trickled in, drawn by the allure of the mysterious burger. Business began to pick up again, the once-empty tables now filled with eager patrons. But amidst the newfound success, an unsettling aura hung in the air, haunting Efrain's every move.
The source of his unease lay in the strange, textured ground beef that Richie procured for his Mystery Burger. Despite their dire financial situation, Richie seemed to have an endless supply of the peculiar meat, always arriving in unmarked packages.

As days turned into weeks, Efrain couldn't shake off the nagging suspicion that something sinister lurked beneath the surface of Richie's success. The new employees that Richie hired, faces unfamiliar and eyes wide with desperation, vanished without a trace after a mere week or two on the job. Not that Efrain could say much. He was finally being paid again and his paycheck had never seen such greatness.

Efrain tried to dismiss his fears as mere paranoia, attributing the disappearances to coincidence and the harsh realities of small-town life. People come and go. But as yet another coworker simply vanished, he could no longer ignore the chilling truth that gnawed at his conscience. Faun, one of Richie's latest hires, was a young mother who had been desperate for work but entirely enthusiastic at the job. Efrain had major doubts that the kind young woman simply quit on the spot with no such thing as a two-weeks' notice given.

That fateful night, as the moon hung low in the sky, Efrain did not go home as Richie encouraged after the bar and grille closed. He stayed behind; his thoughts unable to shake away the unease of the situation. Peering through the crack of Richie's office door which he was never allowed entry, Efrain watched in horror as his employer, bathed in the sickly glow of fluorescent light, meticulously ground meat with a fervor bordering on madness. Through the slim crack of the door, Efrain saw Faun. Her eyes vacant and forever unblinking; her severed head simply perched on Richie's desk.

A gut-wrenching realization dawned upon Efrain as he beheld the grisly truth that lay before him: Richie was butchering his own employees, their flesh destined to become the secret ingredient of the Mystery Burger.