First Day of School

Screwball was five when she started school. There was some debate that morning on who would take her. Fluttershy worried that Discord would shock the young colts and fillies, but he saw it as his duty as Screwball's father to walk her to her first day of school. The pegasus finally gave in and allowed him to come.

As they slowly approached the red building, Screwball felt her stomach churn.

"What if the ponies don't like me?" she asked her parents.

"Of course they'll like you!" Discord replied, playfully twirling the propeller on her hat. "Why wouldn't they? After all, who wouldn't like the most adorable filly in all of Equestria?"

Silence fell over the schoolyard as the foals stopped their playing at the sight of the draconequus. Screwball gestured to them.

"Because I'm different?"

"And that's what makes you so adorable!" her father exclaimed, ruffling her mane.

"Everything will be alright, honey," Fluttershy assured the filly. "Dinky will be here, so will Thunder, Lightning and Cinnamon Stick."

After Applejack and Spike had tied the knot a couple of years ago, they had adopted two foals, a brother and a sister, from the Canterlot Orphanage, doubting that having their own foal would be possible. The colt, Cinnamon Stick, was Screwball's age and the filly, Cinnamon Roll, was but a toddler and not old enough to attend school.

"Your teacher is also Cheerilee," Fluttershy continued. "You remember her: Apple Blossom's mother? Oh, and she will be in your class too."

Apple Blossom was also around Screwball's age. They had not met that often, but she knew she was Aunt Applejack's real niece. She also remembered Cheerilee, a very nice mare who always smiled. The idea of her being her teacher made Screwball feel a little better, plus all her friends were going to be in her class.

"And don't worry if any pony makes fun of you," Discord added. "Just show them who's Boss and turn them into an orange!"

"Discord!" Fluttershy shouted with a glare. "That's no advice to give to our child!" She looked back at the filly. "If any pony cannot accept how special you are, that's their problem. As for your magic...don't get into any trouble and don't make any pony feel jealous..."

"She deserves to show off her powers!"

The pegasus shot him another warning glare before continuing. "Promise me you'll behave. Okay, honey?"

Screwball nodded. "I'll be good, Mommy."

"Good." She kissed her on the forehead. "Now, have you got everything? Your lunch?"

"Check."

"Your notebook and pencils?"

"Check."

"Don't forget your apple for the teacher!" Discord exclaimed, snapping his fingers.

An apple appeared in Screwball's hoof. She gasped and then chuckled as a worm popped out of it.

"Discord," Fluttershy warned.

The draconequus laughed as he replaced the apple with a ripe worm-free one. "Just kidding, darling! Don't take everything so seriously!"

"Screwy!"

The family turned to see the wonky-eyed unicorn rushing towards them. Screwball embraced her best friend happily.

"Isn't this exciting?" Dinky cried, bouncing up and down. "It's our first day of school! We're gonna have so much fun and make lots of new friends!"