Elevator (angst)

This was horrible. It was just a coincidence. A terrible coincidence. 

Chuuya decided to go to the mall since it had been his first off day in a while. He needed to use the elevator since he isn't allowed to use his ability in public spaces like the mall. The last time he did it, Mori lectured him on the importance not drawing attention to oneself, and other useless shit. He didn't bother to listen. All he knew was that he would rather not go through another one of those. Since he needed to go to the fifth floor, he'd rather take the elevator rather than inconvenience himself by taking the stairs. The elevator opened immediately after he had pressed the up arrow. The door had only opened sliver before he saw bandages, ruffled brown hair, and a tan coat. It was his sworn enemy, Dazai. He turned around to start walking before he felt a hand wrap around his wrist. Then, he was yanked inside the elevator. 

"What the hell!?" Chuuya yelled. Before he could regain his composure. The elevator doors shut.

"Shit!" Chuuya yelled when he saw the doors close.

"Chuuya! You shouldn't curse so much," A familiar irritating voice behind him said.

"Well, you're not the one who was forcefully yanked into an elevator," He grumbled.

"Touché."

Before Chuuya said anything else, the elevator abruptly stopped. Through the wall, he  heard distant words saying something along  the lines of 'the power went out'. He groaned. The coincidences kept getting worse. His luck was cursing him. Awkward silence arose between them.

"Chuuya?"

"What." 

"I'm sorry." Chuuya was stunned. In all the years, he had never heard the Osamu Dazai apologize, nonetheless sincerely. It took him a minute to ever process what was happening. He couldn't believe Dazai was apologizing to him of all people. Dazai's an enigmatic man to most people, but Chuuya can read him like the back of his hand. They've been partners for so long, that it became natural. He could feel and tell Dazai was apologizing sincerely. Somehow it felt wrong.

"What?" In all of his shock, Chuuya couldn't say anything else.

"I'm sorry," This time Dazai said it louder and with more emotion.

Chuuya laughed. He couldn't control it. He had too many emotions bubbly to the surface at one time.

"Dazai, do you think a simple 'I'm sorry' is going to cut it?"

"No." Chuuya could tell Dazai knew that as well. He knew Dazai understood what he was talking about. Chuuya was referencing all the pain, hurt, and anger had brought him.

"Then why, traitor, are you apologizing after four years? You're the demon prodigy aren't you? You're supposed to be the smart one here. What are you expecting from all of this?" Chuuya saw that each of his words were cutting Dazai like a knife. 

"I needed to clarify something?"

"Clarify what exactly?"

"Why I left."

"We really going to have this talk in a elevator aren't we?"

"Yeah, guess so."

"What shitty timing."

"I figured if we were stuck somewhere then you would listen to me."

"Wait hold on, you planned this?"

"I had a gut feeling I needed to be in this exact elevator at this exact time. I checked your schedule before coming here then I planned every single detail which include how long the power outage will last. Give or take I have maybe five minutes with you."

"You're unbelievable."

"Yeah, but I needed to say this."

"Fine. Go on, what were you going to say."

"I'm going to tell you why I left. I'm not asking you to leave with me or even forgive me. I know how ridiculously stubborn and loyal you are."

"Damn right!"

"Do you remember Odasaku?"

"Oh, you mean that one low ranked soldier who refused to kill anyone."

Dazai let out a shaky breath before continuing, "Yeah, him. I had two people I considered friends then. He was one of them. The day I left, was the day he died. It was the day I lost both of my friends. One was a triple agent, and the other to death. I knew Mori set this whole thing up. Oda also took care of orphans. Days before he decided to take Mimic on his own, they were blown up in front of his eyes. Knowing he would die, Oda took it upon himself to kill the leader. He told me to be on the side that saves people, and it would make my world more beautiful. And...it did."

"Wow, I didn't know that happened. Did you ever think of me? I know it sounds selfish, but did you ever think about you leaving affecting me?"

"I did. I blew your car up for a reason. Your car not your motorcycle because I knew that meant a lot to you."

Chuuya remembers feeling angry while he tried to convince himself it was relief. He remembers wallowing in a forever pit of emptiness. For the first two years of betrayal, he thought Dazai may have died. Those thoughts plagued him. He tried to convince himself he was fine. Then when the news of Dazai joining an enemy organization came up, he felt enraged.

"Do you have any idea how much hurt you caused me?"

"I do now, and that's why I'm apologizing."

"I don't even know how to feel about this now." 

"I do. I love you."

"What?'

"I love you."

"Please tell this is a sick joke, and you're just playing with me. What happened to the Odasaku guy."

"It's not. I saw him as a friend, and you as more. I've thought of you for so long. It took me a while to figure my feelings out, but I did. I can't bear the thought of losing you." It wasn't said out loud, but Chuuya could tell corruption scared Dazai as much as it scared him. 

"Wow, that's a lot to take in. Dazai we're in enemy organizations."

"I know but we're in a truce!"

"What happened if that truce breaks."

"We'll figure that out later."

"Fine. I love you too, moron."

Dazai smile, and that sent a warmth through Chuuya's body.

"Promise me this though," Chuuya said.

"What? Anything."

"We take this slow."

"Of course, but what exactly do you mean by slow?"

"We date like normal people?"

"But we aren't normal, and besides, how do people date normally?"

"Beats me, but just take me on a date. I'll pay because I'd feel bad for your wallet."

"Sure, we are in a mall, food courts?"

"Yeah."

Just then the elevator resumed moving. If they were holding hands when they got out, that was no one's business but theirs.