11

Sitting beside Jace in his car was different than sitting across from him at the cafe. It was more intimate; she was conscious of how close their arms were from touching.

Jace Slate, that 17-year-old who listened to punk rock and had piercings and spiked hair, now sat beside her in a suit, his hair still messy but probably combed back this morning. Addison looked at him out of the corner of her eye while he typed something out on his phone. Jace Slate, angry and energetic and wide awake, now this man who looked aged, like he was turning 30 and had a house with two kids. There were lines around his mouth and near his eyes, shadows that his eyelashes brushed against from sleepless nights.

She hadn't been able to see it before, in the sunlight and with that biting confidence he had. But now it was later in the day, and it was just them two. He didn't look like the playboy billionaire, but it's not like he actually had to work, right? He already had everything.

"Alright, there. Done. Now, we can talk." He turned the phone off and dumped it in the middle console. Addison winced as the newest model off the market thudded against the plastic. He turned to look at her, his hands in his lap, and his head tilted back to lean against the window. She told herself not to stare at the way his body stretched out in the suit.

He was waiting for her to speak, probably thinking it would make her more comfortable if she could lead the conversation. He was wrong, though, because she would rather not talk at all. A minute passed of them looking at each other, the setting sun casting the car in pinks and oranges. He lit up like a flame. Addison finally got her tongue working once she looked away.

"Alright then. As Grace told you, I'm desperate. I have nowhere to go but a homeless shelter or the streets. And I will rather do that than be your toy, or whatever." At this, his eyebrows furrowed, and he made to sit up. His mouth opened to speak, but she pushed through. If she didn't get it all out now, then she never would. Her throat threatened to close up as Jace sat up and moved closer, the scent of his cologne and sweat filling her nose. He looked serious now, and more awake than since she first sat in his car. She moved her eyes away from him again.

"But I don't mind cleaning for the short while I'm there; I can do that. I'll be quiet, and I will pay you back as soon as I get a job. I should be gone within one or two weeks. But that's it, nothing else." Everything she wanted to say was out; Addison sighed and sat back against the buttery smooth seats. What he wanted was up to him now, and that was fine. It was out of her hands, and surely he would say no. Who cares? Addison is strong; she can deal at the shelter for a bit. Grace would have to keep most of her luggage here, and she probably wouldn't be able to eat enough, but it should be okay.

"Perfect, we're both on the same page then. Want to get your stuff and say goodbye?" Addison's mind was still thinking of finding a shelter nearby; her brain didn't catch up to what Jace had said straight away. She worked her mouth, but at first, nothing came out.

He raised his eyebrow, the scar of his piercing just visible in the dimming light. Should she trust him, this man who earned more in a month than her father had earned in a year? His hands were shaking slightly, and his eyes were red-rimmed; the yawn he was biting back made his eyes crinkle at the edge. She turned her gaze away; she felt like he was threatening to swallow her whole, envelop her person, and spit something else back out.

Her eyes landed on a CD, that stupid obscure band that he had worn on his T-shirt all those years ago. The only reason she recognized it was that the mascot was a zombie cat. Really, the cat was the one that sealed it, and not Jace's tired, drooping eyes.

"Fine."