13

Addison understood that Jace was a different type of rich, but it hadn't really settled in until they started walking to the underground car park elevator.

Confused, she looked back at his car and her luggage. She didn't mind leaving most of her stuff down here, but she felt grimy and wanted to shower. Jace still had his larger, warm hand wrapped around hers, so he felt when she slowed in her tracks. Her face warmed as he let out a breathy chuckle, causing her to look back at him.

There was a smile playing on his lips, and though he must be tired, in the low lights his under-eye bags were gone, leaving him looking younger, more his true age. Something pulled at her mind, a thought she had been pushing away over the years, every time she had seen him. It dangerously came close to crossing her face before she pushed it back.

"Can I get my luggage?" They were at the elevator now, and Addison was seconds away from making a decision and dragging him back to his fancy car, and helping her grab her suitcases, when the elevator dinged.

Frowning, Addison turned to it. Neither of them had pushed the button yet, and she was embarrassed for causing a scene in front of some other rich person, on their way to some other fancy car. Instead, when the sleek grey elevator doors separated, she was surprised to instead see two men dressed in all black clothes. Addison felt the heat that had been swimming on her face since she stepped foot into Jace's car deepen as she saw them nod to Jace and make their way to his car. One of them spoke quietly into a small earpiece.

"Don't worry, Addison. You're not working yet." He smiled down at her, hand around hers, his skin rough and warm, seeming to swallow up her hand. Really, if he had said anything else she might have swooned. Instead, like always, Jace had a way of making her hair stand on end.

Letting go of his hand, she walked into the elevator and ignored his gaze in the mirrored walls.