II

This was inspired by my recent cross-country run at school. I hate running. 

[The image above shows where Thalion is going. I suck at descriptions; pictures speaks louder than words.]

Thalion

  I'm back at the Square. It's different in the dead of night. Or morning. Whatever the time is. The streetlamps illuminated the street. It was empty and still. All the shops were closed, and it was like someone died. So different from the day. Like someone took the soul of this town.

  I shook my head. I'm freaking myself out.

  I stepped out of the shadows, carefully making my way up the street. 

  The houses are prettier here. Picture-perfect with large windows and perfect lawns. A cow wouldn't survive on those lawns for more than an hour. Ghostly flowers bloom under the windows. 

  It's eerie. All those people and I'm the only one. It's so still. 

  Eventually the houses disappear, and I find myself in the woods. 

  There's nothing as terrifying as strolling through the woods at night.

  I better get paid for this.

  If you have never gone hiking alone in the middle of the night, don't do it. All I had was moonlight. I was seriously not planning on taking a hike. I tripped over every living thing. I swear the whole world was against me. 

  Granted, considering my choices in life; karma's going to have fun with me. 

  I tripped my way up the woods, cursing like a sailor. Yep. Stealth is definitely my strong suit. God, if I break my ankle now. And mosquitos. Why do we have those things? I ran face first into a cobweb. I cursed. Then proceeded to stumble around, trying to get the cobweb out of my mouth. I batted the air, swatting away at the bugs. Do those things sleep? I swear I'm inhaling them. My foot caught on a branch, and I lurched towards the ground. 

  I lay there, face first in the dirt and rethinking life. I missed my bed.

  And that was how the night went. Me flailing around and just disturbing the tranquility of the forest. 

  The highlight of the whole night was when I found a road. 

  Dawn's starting to break when I finally get where I was supposed to be. I was absolutely miserable. I glared at castle. The House of Ithaca. Of course, the guy wasn't on the ground floor. I sighed. At least he had a balcony.

 Impossible, how was I supposed to get in there? Rich people. 

  I ended up scaling the walls like some kind of a ninja. I just finished hiking a damn marathon and now I've become some kind of a lizard. Sweat drenched my shirt. My fingers scratched hopelessly at the wall. I gritted my teeth. I better get paid for this. 

  Finally, I found myself perched on the balcony. The dude was sitting with his back to me, probably reading or something. This should be easy. But he keeps looking up at the door. Was he expecting someone? I didn't have much time to ponder. Stab first. Think later. 

As I hoisted myself up, my foot caught on the balcony. The floor rushes towards my face and I find myself tumbling. Like a cartoon character.

  Rubbing my head ruefully, I picked myself up. Then my heart stopped.

  The man glared down at me. The man I was supposed to kill. How did I-?

  My head whipped around. The door to the balcony lay slightly jarred. Did I-?

  Oh my god, I'm a cartoon character. 

  I turned my attention back at the man. His startlingly silver eyes glared down at me behind his spectacles. I felt my face heat up. 

  "So," He drawls. I cringed at his tone. It was like a disappointed parent talking to a stupid toddler. "I asked him to send his best and," The man paused, eyeing me in disgust. "All I get is a child," He continued muttering. But I wasn't listening.

  This man asked for an assassin. Was he suicidal? Did he need help? I paused. What am I supposed to do? Allegra would've been so much better at this. I swallowed.

  "Excuse me sir?" The man stopped pacing and glared at me. "Are you okay?"

  He stared at me blankly. I could've sworn I saw his eye twitch. Was he holding back tears? Why was he up alone? He does seem to be around the age to have a mid-life crisis. 

  He blinked at me. Then his face shifted, and he was glaring at me again. His voice was icy. "I assure you Mr. Thalion, I am perfectly fine," 

  Liar. 

  Also-

  "How do you know my name?" I don't remember mentioning it. I never tell my customers my name. There's no point.

  He finally stopped pacing and sat down on his chair again. He lifts a goblet to his lips. My eyes fasten on it.

  Pure gold. Precious stones glittered around the rim. It was made by a master goldsmith. More like art than an everyday utensil. Even now, it glinted in the lamplight. If I sold that, Allegra and I wouldn't be hungry for weeks. The amount of bread rolls I could trade for that. 

  "Allow me to introduce myself," I force my eyes from the goblet. He doesn't even glance at me, lazily twisting the goblet, watching it glimmer. "I am the Baron of House Ithaca-"

  "I know you," I cut in. His jaw tightens. I quickly continued. "I-uh, I think you have a debt. And I'm here to help you repay it,"

  His smile is cold and doesn't reach his eyes. "Tell me Thalion," He leaned forward. I'm liking him less by the second. "Do I look like I'd be in debt?"

  I eyed him up and down. He's the definition of wealth. Cool and beyond reproach. Arrogant. Aloof. And rich. I shook my head. 

  "No," The Baron said softly. "I don't think so," He leaned down, a fixed expression on his face. I swallowed.

  "Now," He drawls. "What's so special about you?"

  Up until this moment, I was confused. But now I was insulted. The audacity of this man.

  "Excuse me?" The words are out of my mouth quickly. His eyebrows lift in surprise, but his answer is cool and concise.

  "I have an acquittance, an old friend. He runs a sort of gang, mercenaries." I tensed. "I happened to be in need of a fighter, and he promised to send me his best,"

  I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. The Baron continues. "He was in my debt and agreed immediately. However," He paused dramatically. God, he's more dramatic than my eight-year-old sister. He sighed and continued. "I must say that I am beginning to question my acquittance's standards,"

  It's quiet as I put the words together. That Baron watches me expectantly. Then it all snapped into place. I was on my feet in a flash. 

  "PARDON?" I shouted over the blood pounding in my ears. 

  He met my eyes calmly. I'm about to bash his skull in. Who does he think he is? I'm on a mission. This has taken too long. The blade flashes into my palm.

  "Ah," He smiles. "About time,"

  I'm about to kill this fool.