Ch1 : Adam POV

As the seventh of my eight morning alarms blared directly next to my ear, I finally raised my head from my pillow. It was a Friday morning and I was not looking forward to the day's work ahead of me; I never looked forward to work, but especially not on a Friday. Fridays always seemed to be a drag, like someone was dangling the promise of the weekend right in front of your nose, but every time you reached for it they quickly pulled it away. I sighed and rolled off the bed onto my feet, swiftly getting dressed and shoving on my mask before heading outside.                

    As I stepped into the castle's halls the first thing I noted was that it was awfully quiet... an indicator that I was pretty damn late to get to work. "Fuck," I muttered under my breath as I quickened my steps, moving with haste towards the exorcist training center... which just so happened to be on the complete other side of the castle. It was a nuisance, really, having the angel's quarters what seemed like miles away from the training center. 'At least I get my steps in every day,' I thought as I trudged down the second flight of stairs. To be entirely honest, I could care less about getting my exercise in, but I needed some sort of motivation. 

     Reaching the exorcist training center was probably my largest accomplishment every day. I took a quick glance at the clock above the entrance. "Shit, half an hour late," I groaned, shoving open the doors. I was quickly met by twenty pairs of eyes; the eyes of all the ladies in the first class of the day... the class I was supposed to start teaching an hour ago. And in the center of the misshapen circle was Lute, my main bitch, the only one of the exorcists that wasn't afraid of me to some degree. It was lowkey attractive as fuck... I pushed that thought out of my mind quickly. "Hey ladies," I began, addressing the group that was now surrounding me as I pushed towards the center next to Lute. "Sorry I'm a little behind schedule," at that point I took a glance at my wrist, at a watch that did not in fact exist at all. "I had a few errands to run before I got here this morning; took a little longer than expected, hope there's no problem." A lie, of course, I would never admit I was late because I wanted to catch a bit of extra sleep. But none of them knew the truth, and if they did, nobody besides Lute was bold enough to appose me. I could see in her eyes that she knew I was bullshitting the entire group, but she kept her mouth closed. "Well, let's start, shall we?" I asked with a large grin spreading across my face. 'And so it begins,' I thought begrudgingly, masking my mild annoyance with a smile.

     *Time skip: lunch break (halfway through classes for the day)*

     "Finally we're halfway done, it feels like classes are never going to end today," I complained to Lute as she strolled beside me out into the streets of Heaven. It was lunch break, and just as Lute and I had done for as long as I could remember, we were going to 'Golden Gate' for lunch; basically the equivalent to 'Buffalo Wild Wings' down on Earth. Lute took her mask off and raised an eyebrow at me. "Well, we only had to deal with-" she began counting on her fingers; "Four injuries today, so I think we're in pretty good shape." She was being sarcastic, of course... the odds of getting injured during training were somewhat slim, so four incidents in the same day was new. I shook my head and huffed a sigh of disappointment. "I don't know what those bitches' deals are. I mean come ON, they train every day and can't avoid a little scratch here and there? Bunch of bullshit." I said this in a fairly unkind tone as I entered the restaurant, holding the door for Lute like a gentlemen should. Wait... what the hell was I doing? I wasn't a gentlemen. I'm Adam, the first man for Lucifer's sake! I quickly let go of the door and stepped inside myself. Unfortunately for Lute, she just so happened to be in my way as I entered. "Watch if asshole!" She snapped, catching herself from what would've been an embarrassing fall, only to trip again and smack into my chest. A bit of red flared up in my cheeks; I was glad I was wearing my mask in the moment. Unsure of what to do, I awkwardly propped her back up. "My bad babe," I said sarcastically. I called all the women I worked with 'babe'; just a habit of mine. But calling her that seemed mildly different for me. She rolled her eyes and led me to our usual table in the far corner. 

     I took a seat opposing her and took my mask off, tucking it away before resting my head in my hands. "Well Lute," I started, absent-mindedly sucking on the straw to my water whilst keeping a bored eye on her. "How do YOU think training has been going lately? I mean, surely there's something we can improve on to cut down on... casualties, if you will." With that I stopped sucking on my straw and faced her. Lute cocked her head and was silent for a moment. Finally, she piped up. "I'm really not sure Adam. The next extermination is in a week. I think we're fine." She leaned in closer to me, so close I could feel her breath on my cheek. This time, the mask wasn't there to hide the color that rushed to my cheeks. Thankfully Lute wasn't paying attention. 'Damn it Adam, get it together!' I told myself, gritting my teeth. "Adam, between you and me, ever since I can remember being at your side during exterminations, no sinner has ever tried to harm us. Sometimes I wonder if this training is just... keeping us busy." She muttered silently to me. My eyes narrowed and I pulled away. "Lute, there's always a chance something could happen, and we need to be prepared. What you just told me will not be told to another soul, do you understand me?" I growled at her. I hated playing the boss role with her, but sometimes it was needed. Why? Well, because she was correct. And I didn't want to admit it. Nobody did. Because without the daily training, we were nothing. We didn't have a PURPOSE, spare the few times we went down and mass slaughtered demons. It was a sad, but very real fact. And if the rest of the exorcists had this idea planted in their heads, that they were worthless other than to kill seemingly innocent souls in hell... well, they could begin to look for something outside of their current purpose, and they couldn't have that here. They were created to do one job, and nothing more. Lute nodded with a frown as the waiter approached our table. I put on another fake grin and began to order my usual.

     The rest of the day was just as slow as the morning. I felt a bit bad for snapping at Lute, but I was sure she understood. I was now cleaning up the training center, eager to head home and watch the news or something. I removed my mask and wiped a thin layer of sweat off my forehead. "These damn things get so stuffy. I oughta request that we get redesigned ones." I scowled grumpily as I turned off the lights and headed for the door. "I'd have to agree with you on that one," an all-too-familiar voice scoffed behind me. I jumped and whipped around. "Dammit Lute, what the hell are you doing sneaking around in here? Shouldn't you be at home?" My ego was now hurt; I didn't like to be caught off guard like that. I rolled my eyes silently. A playful grin spread across Lute's unmasked face. "Oooh no, looks like I scared the big bad leader of the exorcists! I'm sooo sorry sir," she joked, fake pouting.  I couldn't help but smile, taking a stride towards her. "Don't worry, I forgive the pretty ones easier," I said with a wink. It was harmless, playful flirting of course... I was too much of a pussy to make it any more than that. I wrapped a shiny golden wing around her shoulders and guided her out the doors, locking them behind me. I was quick to realize it was a Friday night... perhaps I'd rather not spend it alone. "Wanna come back to my place? We could grab a drink, watch a movie or something." I suggested to Lute with a shrug. "Absolutely," she answered as she began to strut towards the other end of the castle, which was also the location of my room. "I'll be there shortly, sir. Wasting no time, sir," the girl barked with a fake salute. She giggled a bit as she continued to pretend I had given her some sort of order. I smiled softly and shook my head, following after her. Damn, this girl made me feel so weak sometimes.