Ch3 : Adam POV

Assembling the army was a passive pain in the ass, but I was finally able to round up all the exorcists in one area. I scanned the group surrounding me, deciding that it was best to make it seem as if I gave absolutely zero shits about the demons raising hell on our streets. "Alright ladies, let's make this quick," I started before gesturing out the broad window to my left, overlooking the chaos below. "The game plan is simple, get down there and slaughter all those little cunts that had the bright idea to fuck with us. Got it? Okay good. Let's do this." I wasted no time kicking open the doors and flying outside, not even bothering to wait for the rest to respond or ask questions. Suddenly Lute was flying beside me. "Sir, are you sure we shouldn't have more of a game plan than... this?" She asked me, sounding only mildly worried. "Fuck Lute, don't be a pussy! This is child's play, those sinners will be crawling back home with their tails between their legs in no time... or I'll just kill em all before they get the chance," I said with a wink. Lute didn't look convinced, rather giving me an unkind glare that I could easily detect through her mask. "Adam, maybe we should take this more seriously.." she trailed off, looking down, down where the battle had begun. "They're fighting back Adam!" She barked in a panicky voice. "What?" I raised an eyebrow boredly and looked at the ground. My heart skipped a beat and I froze, the only thing moving being the rhythm of my wings keeping me in the air. Blood began to splotch the ground.. glowing,  golden-ish, thick blood. My face morphed from an expression of horror to utter disgust and annoyance. "How did those little fuckers get ahold of our weapons?" I snapped, now pissed off that our own tactics were being used against us. "This is bullshit!" A bit of golden ligntning crackled around me as I dove for the ground, intent on obliterating the demons that thought they were soooo smart because they figured out that our own weapons could kill us. Which, in my opinion, was utterly ridiculous. My mask curled up in a sinister, sharp-toothed smile as the sinners in my general proximity froze and turned to face me. "Okay fuckers, party's over," I hollered. Pointing my fingers at them, the deadly golden... beam of light? Whatever the hell it was, I wasn't sure, shot from my hands and absolutely toasted the demons in front of me. "Ohhhh yeah baby, who's next," I grinned, turning the beam of light in a full circle, completely wiping out anyone who was unfortunate enough to be standing in my way. "Guess extermination day came to us this year," I said with a yawn, brushing off my shoulders in a show of complete arrogance. It was what I did best, after all. 

     As I lazily began walking downtown, zapping any demon within firing range, I began to wonder where the hell my army of, oh, I don't know, A LOT of girls was at? Because currently I was only seeing maybe ten of them. And no Lute either, on top of it. "What in the hell..." I muttered turning around- turning around into some little fucking shit of a demon smashing a guitar over my head. The guitar made a dying sound as it shattered over my horns. I snarled and looked down at the tiny demon that actually had the balls to smack me in the face with a guitar. "What the hell was that?" I yelled, once again taking a hit to my ego as some little hellspawn was able to touch me. He simply blinked up at me, not moving, just staring. I glared back. It was beginning to turn into a pissing match, neither of us willing to give up our positions. I couldn't help but wonder why he was so intent on having an intense staring contest with me... until it hit me. And I mean literally, hit me. Because at that very moment another demon, probably the first demon's buddy, hit me with ANOTHER guitar. In my damn spine, right between my wings. I let out a loud, frustrated holler and wheeled around, bright light shooting from my hand again, casually smoking the little sinner that had double hit me with the guitar. I then did the same to the first, fed up with the idea of a sabotage staring contest. I glared at the broken window of the instrument shop I had been fighting next to. "I'm never fuckin stepping foot anywhere near a guitar again," I muttered as I spread my wings and hopped up into the sky again.

     I scanned the ground below me. "Where the hell is..." my gaze trailed to the other end of Main Street, where the rest of my army was fighting an insane amount of hellspawn. "LUTE!" I yelled as I caught sight of her, she was cornered, being over run by demons. I barreled towards her through the air, watching as she lost the spear she had been fending them off with. The demons wasted no time attacking her, taking advantage of her vulnerability. I fired up the light beam again and sent a straight shot at the pile of demons overrunning Lute. The smoke cleared and there was Lute, laying in a heap, unmoving. "Hey! Lute!" I hollered, landing and taking a few staggering steps towards her. I knelt beside her, shaking her shoulder roughly. "Lute... Lute, get up! Come on!" My voice became more urgent. She lifted her head slowly. "Adam..." her voice was weak. She grabbed onto my right hand tightly with her own. There was a kind of fear in her eyes. "Adam, we need to retreat." She wheezed, her golden blood trickling from her nose and various cuts along her face and arms. "That's nonsense Lute, I'll finish them off, you'll be okay, watch me," I assured her, fully intending on doing as I said. She shook her head violently. "No Adam, we need to retreat. NOW." Her voice was hoarse, and there was a sense of urgency in it. She pointed her free hand weakly at what was going on behind us.

      I turned, and the realization of just how bad the situation was hit me. There were so many dead. But not demons, rather- exorcists. MY exorcists. "Oh no" I mustered. About ten of the exorcists scrambled up to me. They were a mess of their own blood and the blood of the demons... all looked fearful. "Sir, we need to go." One said. The others behind her nodded rapidly. "We're overwhelmed, sir, there's nothing we can do." Another said. "They're pouring into heaven faster than we can pick them off. We've lost too many... I lost my sister." A third said. I could see tears dripping from beneath her mask. I shook my head in disbelief. How was this happening? I felt Lute grip my hand tighter and I turned to face her. "Adam.." she whispered, a silent plea. "I... fuck... well..." I gave up trying to find the words. I stared at Lute, too wounded to go on, too weak to even stand on her own. It killed me to see her in this state.  "Okay," I finally said, my voice weak. I gently picked Lute up off the ground, taking care not to damage her any more. She winced but kept a tight grip on my hand. If we weren't in a life or death situation, I might've blushed... just a little. "Ladies! Fall back! Let's go! Move!" I broadcasted as loud as I could. Many heads turned to face me, their black masks splattered in red and gold. I beckoned for them to follow me and hopped into the air once again. I leaned down close to Lute's face. "It'll be alright, we're gonna get you somewhere safe." I promised, running a hand softly down her cheek, despite it being covered by her mask. I did a short scan of the terrain before flying off towards the hills in the distance, hoping to find somewhere safe for the army to recover. I was in mild shock as I stared off into the sunset, the realization that I had finally lost setting in.