Ch6 : Lute POV

Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. That was the only correct way to describe Adam's rash idea of a 'plan'. I had tried telling him that, too; at least five times. Two hours ago, which is when he informed me of this last minute idea. But he wouldn't take no for an answer, classic Adam, always assuming that he was the smartest person in the room. Maybe he was sometimes, but definitely not now. We were in no shape to go back and keep fighting, how could he not realize that? Although I felt a little better, I was still not in any ideal condition to take on an army of demons. And I could tell by a simple scan around the room that the other exorcists felt the same. Droopy winged and heavy eyed, the lot looked absolutely awful compared to the usual upbeat air that filled a room whenever Adam's army walked in. I shook my head in frustration. Why couldn't he just listen? "Ladies!" I heard Adam's voice echo through the cave. I gritted my teeth and turned to face him. This should be fun. 

     I listened as Adam explained his master idea of a sneak attack to the others. Skeptical looks began to sweep through the crowd. The others were afraid of Adam, this I knew... nobody would dare speak their mind, especially when it was disagreeing with him. I was different, on another hand. I was not afraid of him; I was close with him for that reason. However, I was fiercely loyal to him and was an obedient soldier. Yes, I had offered him my opinion. He had decided to discard it. So here I was, stuck following him into what was likely a massive suicide mission. My mind snapped back to the present as Adam was finishing up his speech. "And we ride... NOW!" He yelled, attempting to sound heroic (he, in fact, did not). The exorcists got to their feet in unison, just as ready to follow Adam to certain death as I was. We were simply his obedient servants, and he liked it that way. 

     "Lute," Adam tweeted, causing me to shift my eyes to him. He beckoned for me to come next to him, he was at the mouth of the cave, his army behind him. He wanted me by his side, as usual. I was mildly bitter at him for entirely blowing off my opinion earlier, but I complied, heading to the front and standing beside him. Adam spread his glowing golden wings. The same golden wings that had held me early this morning. I blinked hard to shake the thought. "Let's go bitchesssss," Adam hollered, taking off in a massive whoosh of air created by his wings. The rest of the army took flight as well, following behind him. I spread my own wings, which were far smaller than Adam's and flew beside him. "Why the frown babe? We're gonna kick some demon ASS today," Adam grinned at me, excitement seeming to radiate off of him in waves. Of course he was excited; the man was practically invisible. He feared not death or even pain. Us on the other hand, were not as powerful as him. I mean, just look at me. Battered and broken, still following my leader to battle as if I wasn't about to get brutally murdered by a bunch of beings straight from hell. I said nothing, continuing to fly beside him. He opened his mouth to say something but apparently thought better of it, snapping his mouth shut and pulling on his mask. I followed suit, shoving my mask on as well. I was aware I was in an immensely bad mood, for the sole fact that I had been so badly injured... I had never been wounded like that before, and it pissed me off. I decided to stop thinking about it and focus on the long flight ahead of us.

*Time skip 6 hours*

     As the first of the golden buildings making up Heaven's Main Street came into view, I began to mentally prepare for what was about to happen. We were going to get our asses kicked, no doubt about it. I remembered earlier Adam insisting that this was going to work, that we were going to take back control of this battle. I didn't believe him. I usually blindly followed him, he was right 99% of the time anyways. But I fear I'd never felt before boiled in my gut, the urge to turn around was strong. I saw black smoke rise from buildings in the distance. My heart sank. It was worse than we thought.