2: Opposites

"Ive read the file," she raised the folder I handed earlier sa receptionist. She said "file" like it was just a paper for her approval. And she don't look like she approves. "There must be a mistake."

"That's what I said," mahinang sabi ko. I'm still stunned by how much charisma she carries. I can't think straight.

"May I know how you came to know this?"

"H-huh?"

"Miss, if you're here to stare at me, and this turns out to be a joke, I'm gonna sue you for trespassing and for bringing...fake documents." She threw the folder on her table.

Doon ako nagising sa kahibangan ko. We acting pissed now? Then we do. Kaya ko naman siyang sabayan.

"It's Iris. Miss...?" I acted like I don't have any idea who she is. Even though I spent minutes staring at her photo downstairs.

"Gwen. And Iris, you can sit down."

I obliged. Which I don't normally do in normal situations. "For your information, I was as surprised as you when I found out about it."

"When exactly did you find out?" Her voice still low; and her expression is hard to discern.

"L-last week?" Teka, bakit ako nauutal? Dahil ba sa klase ng pagtitig niya?

"And you need to fix this because?"

"Because I... I..." I squint my eyes. "Teka nga, nangangawit na leeg ko na naka tingala sayo eh." Paano ba naman, pinaupo niya ako pero siya nanatiling nakatayo sa harap ko.

She sat opposite me, not breaking eye-contact. Napaka elegante niyang gumalaw. Pati pag upo parang gusto mo nalang siyang sundan ng tingin. Sure ba na ito yung babae na nakilala ko 7 years ago?

"You were saying the reason, Iris."

Ugh, even my name sounded better coming from her mouth. "My reason doesn't matter. Hindi ka ba nam-mroblema na legally registered ang kasal na yan? It will affect us both regardless of the reason."

"I don't have any reasons to revoke it. I don't mind."

"A-no?!" Nag init ang mukha ko. She's joking, right? "You don't mind being married sa taong di mo kilala? Do you even remember me?"

I saw one side of mouth rise, making her look like she's smirking and enjoying my frustration. "I don't remember you. As a matter of fact, I don't even believe this is true."

I bite my tongue to contain my feelings. Guinevere is deadly gorgeous, but she's also deadly annoying as fuck.

"Look, Miss Guinevere. I wouldn't waste my time coming here if it isn't true. Why would I bother flying 17 hours to joke something like this? Kung gusto mo tawagan mo ang embassy, ang registry ng NYC, and mga lawyers mo, o kung sino mang contact persons mo para ma verify yan."

"Okay." Her responde is simple, yet firm. Tapos tumayo siya at kinuha ang phone niya sa table niya.

She dialed someone. And while she's on her phone, I took another look at her.

Guinevere.

She put her free hand on her trouser's pocket while the other one is pressing the phone to her ear. She's looking at me with her those eyes again.

"Hey, G. Sorry to bother you, but I'm here with..." she trailed off. "I want to consult you with something."

Pause.