25

Delhi

She was taken into an empty cell and left alone by herself. Her eyes glanced at the dark, little room. She sat down on the cold floor while releasing a tired sigh at where she was brought, which was no different from Abhimanyu's house. The only difference was that his home had furniture, and this didn't. Nevertheless, both were prisons, according to her.

Life was being cruel to her for no reason. She was on her bad days, but she thought, like every other, she would come out stronger.

****

Abhimanyu was explaining to his family why he married her.

"I thought she killed our pooja."

"Don't try to sugarcoat the truth for it to suit you. She killed my daughter and your sister." His mother cried in her palms helplessly because she could do nothing when her daughter's murderer stayed with her.

"She said she wanted drugs." His mind was also confused now thinking about it again because when she stabbed her, she was still in her senses.

"Do you have a soft corner for her? Where is the oath you said you took? Why are you defending your sister's murderer?" She exclaimed as she raised her head. Her face had turned red because she was burning with regret that she had let her daughter's murderer leave before her eyes.

Abhimanyu had never seen her look so angry. He became silent because he didn't know the right words he would tell her that would comfort her.

"Maybe I liked her yesterday, not anymore," he whispered, as when she spoke rudely towards his mother, it made him lose the friendly feeling he had acquired for her.

He then dashed out to go to the station. In his car, he took a pause to ponder all that had happened. It was never his plan to expose everything so soon. Also, he had no idea she imported drugs. How was she able to hide it for so long? How did the money from them never enter her account until yesterday?

Instead of going to the station, he decided to investigate the matter himself. He called up his partner, Raghav, and they met at the restaurant that had a view overlooking the North River.

"How did the police find out she imports drugs?" He chewed the food he just put in his mouth, looking at him as he also muffled his food before shrugging.

"It escaped us. I'm wondering how they found it. Either an enemy is setting her up or she ran out of luck. I can't think of anything else."

"Money went into her account for the first time from the sender. I can't think of what to make up. I won't say she's not capable. She's capable of importing, but then, if she does, how come we didn't know about it?" He looked out the window at the serene view as he tried to think over it while his friend shared his point.

"She must be in the interrogation room by now. We will find out through her statement if she's guilty or not."

••••

She fiercely refused to break contact with the man on her head who was staring at her with aggressiveness while questioning her.

"I won't repeat myself, Ms. Poonam. Confess to your crimes."

"I'm not a fool to say anything without my lawyer reaching. So stop wasting your breath," her answer remained the same. The interrogator got furious because she hadn't said a word of benefit to him since she came; rather, she was relaxed more than she should be for his liking. She sat on the wooden chair like a boss, in the manner she always does at work, her legs crossed and with a dominative face.