The Flower Girls

"Where are you taking me?" Inang asked, but other than a brief glance, they remained silent. Platinum Guy walked in front while Aqua Guy took up the rear. They looked like normal human but she wouldn't risk anything, so she kept herself alert.

Their footsteps echoed in the empty hallways. She stood on tippy toes, trying to look above the guard's broad shoulders. The corridors stretched ahead of them, long, windy, and dimmy lit without any windows nor doors on either side.

"Be careful what you wish for. You may just make them come true." Inang muttered to herself.

She took mental notes of any significant marks she could find, but there was none. The place looked very old, like the bygone castles featured in historical periodic dramas. A few damp patches and cobwebs here and there.

After what seemed like a long time, they finally arrived in front of a formidable looking door. The guard in front pressed his pulse on a devise by the door, and it opened without a sound. It clicked shut behind them

What revealed itself behind the door took her breath away.

A modern, fully furnished apartment style living quarters, except the bars over the tiny windows. There were four girls in that room. They all seemed to come from good gene stocks.
They sat around a table playing a game she recognised as mahjong, except for the unfamiliar graphics on the tiles.

"Are you letting us free today, Atoni?" A girl with bronze skin and midnight blue lemonade braids casually asked Platinum Guy. He shifted uneasily on his boots, trying to avoid eye contact with everyone.

"Fat chance, Leboni. Maybe if you behave yourself, The Sub-Arch would be lenient," Aqua Guy replied with a smirk.

"Nobody asked your opinion, turfhead!" A petite girl with short green fluorescent hair snapped.

"Why, you--!"

"Voreqe, don't provoke her," Platinum Guy whispered to his companion. "Lindu, please."

She rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out, showing a silver stud at the tip. Voreqe clenched his fists. Inang didn't miss the flirty wink given by the girl and he actually looked startled.

Now that Inang really looked at them, the guards were just youths not much older than herself. Both were tall and lean yet muscular. Their black and grey uniform were pressed and spotless. Black leather belt and knee high laced boots completed their look.

Something clicked in her brain. "You're Koa! You are in my class at MIS!"

Atoni's forehead creased for a split second before he straightened his expression. "I don't know what you’re talking about."

"But it's true. You're the one always wearing the beanie and hoodie. And you too. You are in the Senior Year."

Voreqe dismissed her with a laugh that sounded more like a snort. "You're speaking gibberish. I don’t understand you."

The tension in the room was quite palpable. She could almost touch it.

"Ahem," one of the younger girls said, calling their attention. "Hey, you should probably leave us now, guys."

"Ya, we better get going," Nakoa said to his companion.

Voreqe pointed two fingers to his eyes and towards the petite girl. "Mind your attitude, brat. You'll be sorry!"

Lindu stuck her tongue out again. His adam's apple bobbed up and down. Inang wanted to say something but when she opened her mouth, she didn't know what to say after all.

Atoni nodded before shutting the heavy door behind him. She noticed how he discreetly glanced at Leboni. Was that a longing look in his eyes? She kicked herself. She knew nothing about such things. It was just some random things Ali pointed out while they watched rom-coms, how to recognise body language and stuff.