Chapter 5

The heat in the van was unbearable, and the driver opened both side windows and the back doors. The parking lot they chose was wide open to a relentless sun.

"Can't we move to some place that isn't like the bloody Gobi Desert?"

"We might if I could find out where the hell they disappeared to. This was Lyle's orders, not mine."

"Then tell Lyle to get his ass out here and do his own listening." He kicked angrily at the ground.

"Right." Dripping sarcasm. "It isn't your neck on the block here. I was given twelve hours, and they have come and gone."

"You expecting company?" The driver pulled a gun from his belt and moved behind one of the rear doors as a black sedan turned onto the lot and drove straight toward them.

"Nobody I want to see."

The car stopped a length away and the door opened. The thin man climbed out and came around to the back of the van.

"Do you have eyes on them?"

"Lyle!" The man tried a smile, swallowing hard at the glare. "We uh, we followed them from Union Station."

"I asked if you had eyes on them."

"Well . . . right at this moment--"

"We lost them," the driver said, complacently.

His partner made a squeaking sound, as his mouth fell open. "Lyle! No!" He gasped as the gun came out and fired, ending his dismayed plea."

The driver was too shocked to react, and he felt a muzzle against his cheek as he surrendered his weapon.

"You will dispose of our friend and this van so nothing remains. Do you understand?"

"I- but where . . .?"

The muzzle jammed against his cheek painfully. "Somewhere you'll wind up if you fail."

"Got it. Right. No trace." He sagged onto the bed of the van as the man returned to the sedan and drove off.

******

Sheridan set the large pot of fresh coffee on the table in the living room, joining the three men for Devon's discussion.

"This will be complicated, but it is how I understand what is happening." Devon poured himself a mug and took a sip. "Before I start, just what were you going to tell me in exchange for Matt bringing you in?" He looked at Arthur.

"Oh- well, that's all pretty academic now. I mean, we all know what's happened."

"I believe the phrase was - everything you know about your people."

Art looked to Matt and back at Devon. "Well, it was about how I delivered what I found from the stuff Matt was discovering . . ."

"That's it?" Matt spread his palms. "You had me make contact for that?"

"No- it- I mean there's more, it's uh, times and locations, and the contacts I dealt with." He rubbed his thighs, watching them watch him.

"Sher, I think Mr. Tate should be excluded from our conversation for the moment. You want to keep him company elsewhere for a bit."

"What the hell." Arthur began to protest.

"Without any fuss, Mr. Tate." Sheridan slapped the barrel of the suppressor in her hand, pulling Arthur's attention to the large gun attached.

Matt watched with interest the apparent familiarity she showed with the weapon.

"What's that all about?"