Chapter 17

"No arguments, Wylie. Call this number and tell them everything. Finding Tate. The body in the car, and what I'm doing."

"If he's on the island why not just wait for a team? Where can he go?"

"Wylie, he's not stupid enough to trap himself. He won't get off at the island, he'll mingle with the return crowd and sneak back here; it's just an evasion manoeuvre."

"Then wait for him here."

"No. On the boat I can isolate him. If he gets ashore here in a crowd, who knows what might happen. We can't lose him again."

"Fine. I'll report to your people."

The pout was so charmingly irresistible, Matt felt his heart skip. "You keep an eye on the ferry when it comes back - just in case."

"The pout turned to a warning glare. "You'd better come back, Matthew Constable, and not just in case."

He took off at a gallop, unhappy to see the ferry part way across the inlet already. A couple about to get into a water taxi were surprised to have sudden company for their trip, as Matt jumped into the boat, explaining it was an emergency. The taxi beat the ferry to the island, and he paid for the ride, thanking the couple, and then lined up with the returning ferry passengers.

He scanned the departing passengers; confident he didn't miss his quarry, and then shuffled aboard with the rest. The ferry was crowded and Matt went to the upper deck first, moving slowly around the rail, searching the people below. He made two circuits, then went to the lower deck and began again.

As he approached the stern he caught sight of a figure moving quickly through the crowd to the stairs, and he picked up his own pace, apologizing a few times as he pushed through the mass of people. Reaching the stairs he saw the figure duck toward the stairs to the bridge, and he gave chase.

Matt stopped at the top, a few feet from the entrance to the tiny bridge cabin. Arthur was behind the skipper, his gun aimed straight at the man's head.

"I saw you looking for me, Connie. I kind of expected you."

"Arthur, there's no way out of this. Come out and let's save everyone a lot of grief."

"You know what they do to traitors, Connie, I don't think I'll take that route."

"There is no other route, Arthur. This man has nothing to do with any of our business. Why add some innocent person to your troubles?"

"Maybe I should change him for you."

"I'll accept that. Come out and let him do his job. There's a lot of people depending on him to sail them to safety."

"I know your game, Connie. You get me one on one, and you think you'll win."

"You've got the gun, Arthur. Let the captain do his job and you and I get out of his way. We'll be docking shortly, and there's no escape for you. A team will board and you won't have a chance. Come out and let's save all that."

To Matt's surprise, Arthur said something to the captain and then came out of the bridge. He backed away, hands in sight as Arthur gestured him toward the stern. They stopped part way among the lifeboat davits.

"Okay, Connie, what did you want to say?"

"What I've already said, but I also wondered why."

"Why do you think? Money." He laughed at Matt's expression. "What, you thought it was some ideological motive? Well, maybe it was - a devotion to mammon."

"By selling out a country full of people?"

"Oh, please. We aren't much different. Two sides of the same coin. We both lie, cheat, steal, and deceive. For what? The greater good? Is it the greater good, Connie?"