chapter 30

Maya

My hands tremble as I pick up Ira's letter. The last one she gave me. I hold it up and notice how new it looks, new as if it were written yesterday. I read it in a rush because I feel like that if I don't read it now, I won't ever get a chance to again.

 I read it in a rush because I feel like that if I don't read it now, I won't ever get a chance to again

Tears start to stream down my face as I read the last line over and over again. And the words echo in my ears for far too long. I tense as I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn with a jerk, only to see, Ira. A peaceful expression on her face.

"What has got you crying, Maya" Ira says, her hands fixated on my shoulders, and my heart instantly starts to beat fast, creating almost an ache in my chest.

"Ira? Are you really here?" I inhale sharply as the words tumble out of my mouth.

"Yes, where else would I be?" she says, and I reach for her, hesitantly touching her because I'm scared that she will disappear the second I touch her. But she stands there, looking as real as ever. Like she really is here, here with me.

"Oh my god," I say, my voice breaking as my hold on her tightens because I don't want to let her go, not again, not never. "I love you so much, and I miss you. I miss you so much, every single day. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of you, I miss you," my words blurt out with urgency, because I feel like if I don't say them now, I won't ever get the chance to.

"I miss you too," she says and detaches herself from me, and looks at me.

"I wish you were here to see what I've done, who I've become. I wish you were here so bad, but the only thing that keeps me hanging on a thin thread is that maybe one day I will see you again, but that isn't enough. I miss you so so much" I say as I choke on my sobs, gasping for breaths

"You say you miss me so much, but you haven't fulfilled my final wish. How weird is that?" she says, and the pain in my heart, grows and clenches painfully 

"What?" I ask, even more tears finding their way out, and her expression hardens further, "I've never asked you for anything, this was my first. It's been four years." she says, bitterness in her voice. The kind of bitterness that was never directed towards me, to say the least.

"I know. I'm trying, I don't know. Nothing working, but I am trying" I say, trying my best to reassure her,

She shakes her head and laughs humourlessly, and then she looks at me again her expression folds "I need you to make me proud Maya. And you seem like you're not trying hard enough," she says and turns her back toward me and disappears into the void, before I even get a chance to say something, anything, to her.

I look down to see the letter she gave me, lit up and burning to flames.

"Fuck", I breathe out,