chapter three

It's weird the way memories lag when you wake up in the morning. When Bose first opened his eyes, a strong sense of panic slowly overcame him as he realized he didn't recognize the bedroom he was in. However, the panic left just as quick as it arrived the moment he shifted and tried to sit up, only to discover a familiar redhead curled up against his side.

He moved slowly and lowered himself back into the mattress, trying to recall the events that had brought him here.

He remembered the way he had declined her offer, and the way she had waited in the parking lot knowing he would change his mind.

He remembered the way they snuck into a drive-in movie and sat just close enough so that he couldn't hear the overwhelming notifications his phone was receiving.

He remembered the way he had accidentally stared until she glanced back, a sly smile crossing her lips and making his heart thump a little faster.

He remembered the way he tried to drag his eyes away from her lips, and prayed it wasn't obvious.

His heart spun a bit as he remembered the way her tongue slicked over her bottom lip before she leaned in and softly pressed her lips against his.

She promptly pulled away and apologized, asking for permission. He responded, not with words, but by pulling her closer and reciprocating the kiss.

Bose decided that was enough context to explain how he had ended up tangled in her sheets and intwined in her arms. He sincerely hoped this wasn't just a hook up, because despite the fact that he had only known her for a day and a half, he secretly had been harboring a small crush ever since he had first saw her. Well, it was a bit more than a small crush he supposed. Whatever the event, if it was just a hook up, he figured it was better than attending a party he never wanted to go to.

Ah crap. The party. He completely forgot.

He could feel his phone in the back pocket of his jeans- ouch, how had he even slept like that? - and he quickly reached down to fish it out. Turning off Do not Disturb, he was less than delighted to discover the abundance of texts and miss calls he had received. Damn, why were the people he had surrounded himself with so pushy?

All of the confidence he had gained from the night prior was slowly usurped as he scrolled through the texts. It was the works- all sorts of texts varying from asking where he was, telling him to sneak out if he was grounded, to asking him to bring snacks when he finally showed. He accidentally jerked his arm when he moved to scroll through the messages, and he could hear Chapa yawn as she began to stir. She blinked slowly and started to open her eyes, but quickly looked away upon being blinded by the brightness from Bose's phone, and instead opted to bury her face in the crook of his neck.

"Ah, sorry," he said quickly as he turned it down. She grumbled in response. He couldn't tell if she had just fallen back asleep or was ignoring him. "I didn't wake you up, did I?"

She sat up finally, craning her neck so she could read the texts with him, "I mean, you kind of did but it's ok-" she paused, rubbing her eyes, clearly still adjusting to the light, "Did they believe you? About being grounded?"

"Some more than others,"

Chapa smirked, "You don't need their approval, you know that right?"

"I guess," Bose said with a sigh, "But I should probably apologize,"

Chapa's smirk quickly faded as she rolled her eyes "Fine, but if you're gonna go be a pushover I'll come with you,"

"I am not a pushover- wait you're coming with?"

"Of course," she said slowly as she sat up and slid off the bed. She yawned as she grabbed her t-shirt off of a nearby chair and pulled it over her head, "My boyfriend is about to go hang out with the people that broke my nose in the cafeteria, I need to make sure they don't kill him,"

At this, Bose frowned, "You have a boyfriend?"

Chapa pinched the bridge of her nose, "Its you. You're the boyfriend,"

"Oh!" Boyfriend had a nice ring to it. Bose had never been referred to as someone's boyfriend, never seriously anyways. He liked the sound of it, and he really hoped she wasn't joking.

He must've been hiding his excitement pretty well, as she didn't seem to notice, and instead gestured to the floor by his side of the bed. He glanced down to spot her jacket, and tossed it to her.

"Thanks-" she said as she pulled it over her shoulders- "Do you need anything else before we go?"

"No..." he trailed off, and suddenly got an idea, "Wait actually yeah-"

"-Let me guess," Chapa said quickly, cutting him off. As she did, she grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, tugged him forward, and kissed him. She kissed him for a few seconds, before letting go and walking towards the door. He wasn't sure how she could do something like that so casually, as he stood there thinking about what happened.

She turned in the doorway, giving him a puzzled look, "...Are you coming or not?"

Bose quickly snapped out of and followed her, "Oh yeah! Sorry-"