iii. chicken wrap

AN: fair warning, this chapter is a bit lengthy

-

back in the day - mac miller

-

The kitchen spent the day preparing for a bachelor party that would be held there later that night, per request of Cicero. It was a compromise so Carmen didn't have to actually pay him back.

The party had only been going on for an hour, but for Margaret, it felt like 5. Once the party seemed to be at a slower speed, she excused herself to go sit outside. The wind blew gently through her hair she stepped outside. The city lit up which made it impossible for her to see the stars.

She leaned her head against the window, closing her eyes. Pulling in a big, shuddering breath, she slid down the wall and sat on the pavement. She pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her forearms on them.

-

"Does anyone know where Margaret is?" Richie called out to no one in particular as he walked out with a plate of food. He had set it down on the counter as he wiped his hands on his stained apron, waiting for someone to respond.

Tina shrugged, "I think I saw her go outside. Out the front." she called from the lockers.

Carmen looked up and could see the top of her head through the window as she sat on the ground. Richie had also noticed her so he began to walk over there, but Carmen stopped him. "I'll handle it. This behavior isn't appropriate."

Richie backed off, "Just go easy on her. She's been out of it today." Carmen nodded his head then turned to go out the front.

He pushed it open slowly, so he didn't startle Magaret. He let it closed gently then walked outside, standing in front of Margaret. She had put her head down on her arms so she hadn't noticed him.

"It's freezing, how long has she been out here?" he thought to himself as he rubbed his hands together, attempting to generate hear. Carmen cleared his throat to get her attention, which had worked. She looked up at him with glossy eyes, the purple LEDs illuminating her face.

"Why aren't you inside, chef?" he asked, crossing his arms and moving to the side of her. He leaned against the window, the glass chilling his back. He could feel the vibrations from the music inside thumping against his back.

Margaret quickie wiped a tear from her cheek with the back of her sleeve, standing up, "I'm so sorry, Chef. I didn't realize I was out here for this long." She smoothed down her apron, and went to leave when Carmen caught her arm.

It was an innocent touch, really. So why did she jump?

"Sit down. Or stand, I don't care." he said, keeping his eyes on her. She had clearly been crying, whether it was from sadness or from the sting of the cold wind outside. Margaret nodded her head, and leaned against the window, placing her hands on the sill. She too, felt the vibrations from the music. "What's going on?" Carmen asked, pulling out a cigarette.

"It's..uh.." Margaret took in a breath as Carmen flicked his lighter. She watched him flick it until it finally caught, "My mother's death anniversary." she said, looking down at her restaurant-grade shoes. She twisted the toe of her shoe of the ground slowly, back and forth.

Carmen inhaled his cigarette, "Shit. Ok." he said as he blew it out. He stifled a cough, and went to inhale again.

"Yeah." Margaret replied quietly. The silence between them was filled with the sounds of the city and Margaret's occasional sniffle. "Do you miss your brother?" she finally spoke. Her voice choked, so tried to play it off with a cough which ended sounding more pathetic than her voice choking.