viii. apologies

AN: holy shit it's been awhile!
1. sorry for taking literally a month off without letting you guys know and
2. this chapter is more of a filler chapter to get the story moving in the direction i need it to go 🫣

-

the beach - the neighbourhood

-

Waking up at 5 am, Carmen decided to head to the restaurant to get a headstart on food prep.

And to avoid seeing Margaret that morning.

-

As her alarm blared loudly next to her, Margaret's hand lazily searched for her phone. She groaned, sitting up as she turned it off the repetitive noise. Padding out through the short hallway, she approached the living room, expecting to see Carmen still there.

"Carmen?" she called out, looking around her house. She walked up to the front door, turning the door knob. The door was unlocked, although she knew she had locked it last night.

"What the fuck Carmen?" she mumbled to herself as she went back into her room to get dressed for work. "No note or anything at least?" She left her house, making the short walk to work wearing a sour expression.

-

"Hey chica." Tina greeted, wearing a warm smile. Margaret gave her a half smile, walking past her to drop her belongings off in her locker.

"What's your deal?" Sydney asked, leaning against the wall. Margaret sighed, not looking up from the locker as she hung her coat up.

"It's so stupid, honestly." she said, pulling her apron out and over her head. She finally looked up at Syndey, who was studying her facial expressions carefully.

"Well, it's obviously not that stupid if it's got you worked up like these." Sydney gestured to Margaret's sulking state, dropping her hand back down. "What is it?"

Margaret sighed, rapidly shaking her head as she walked past Sydney, "I'm good." she called out as she walked to her station. Sydney followed her, basically breathing down her back with how close she was.

"Margaret.." she started but was cut off.

"Syndey," Margaret stopped moving, looking up at her, "I'm good." she said, overannoucating both words.

Sydney threw her hands up in surrender, slowly walking back from Margaret, "Whatever you say Margy."

Margaret let a smile slip through her lips, jokingly smacking Syndey's arm before she returned back to prepping. As the kitchen prepped for lunch, Carmen went through and did his daily checks on everyone.

"How we doing, Chef?" he asked, leaning over her shoulder. Sydney nodded her head, focused on her cooking.

"I'm good, Chef." she replied, still not looking up.

"Smells nice, Chef." he called over his shoulder as he moved on to Margaret.

She didn't greet him with a sarcastic jab, instead keeping her lips tight and eyes down. She furiously chopped an onion, picking up speed the longer Carmen stood there.

"How are you doing, Chef?" he asked lowly. She gave him a curt nod, grabbing another onion from her bin. Carmen drew in a breath, exhaling slowly in means to control his temper. "I need a verbal response please."

"I'm good."

Carmen stared at her, examining her face. She sported dark circles under her eyes, hair messily pulled back in a low bun, skin paler than her normal complexion.