3

Word Count: 2456

~Alvera

"Where are we going?" I slide my hand into his as he offers it to me, guiding me out booth seat. "Wait, we need to pay—"

"I paid while you were in the bathroom," he responds.

I look to the counter to ensure I'm not abetting this man's petty crime. Instead, I see Roxxie winking at me from behind the cash register.

I flush, looking at the back of Venn's head as he leads me out the restaurant. "Oh...thanks for paying, I guess."

My heart is thrumming against my ribs as the brisk autumn air bites at my heated cheeks as we emerge through the glass doors. The lamp post above us coats the street with an occasional flicker of light, the bulb buzzing in protest.

My mind is struggling to keep up with the momentum of Venn's movements as he sweeps me off the barren street and behind Roxxie's building.

"Oh God, an alleyway." I swerve distastefully around the locked dumpster, unable to flinch from Venn's tight grasp. "Are you going to kill me?"

Suddenly he turns me, holding me against the brick wall. My back lays flat against it, the aged mortar sharp as it presses through my shirt and into my skin.

I gape at him, my mind spinning, and not from the alcohol slowly ebbing from my system.

My survival instincts are clearly in the negatives considering my voice is choked in my throat and I'm staring up into his smoky eyes like I'm enamoured by him.

I mean, he does look otherworldly.

The moon is in its waning gibbous phase, thick and buttery in colour as it peers through the line of trees that Roxxie's establishment backs onto. It gilds his hair, casting an eerie shadow over his sharp features.

"I have a trick I want to show you," he tells me, his gaze licking against my lips before they drift back to my eyes.

I blink rapidly. "Trick?"

"Press your forehead to mine and close your eyes," he instructs lowly.

He's close, but not enough so that I'm uncomfortable. The tips of his black boots may press against my worn work sneakers, but no part of our bodies yet brush.

Enraptured by the moment, feeling an intangible force drawing me nearing, I do as he says.

He has to bend to touch his forehead to mine, my shoes creasing as I rear up on my tiptoes.

"Okay. We sharing thoughts or something?" I whisper, trying to break the rush of awkwardness. It's mostly from how breathless this simple action has made me, feeling the warmth of his skin as it presses into mine.

"I want you to unburden yourself of your problems. Tell me them to me and I'll help you relax," he tells me.

I peek my eyes open. His are closed, his long lashes brushing against the dim shadows beneath his eyes. He's so much more beautiful up close, his skin brushed with the faintest speckling of light freckles, and I swear I can see the gentle curve of the dimple in his cheek.

"How?" I whisper, my stomach fluttering from the brazen intimacy.

"Just trust me."

"Fine, I'll release all my best keep secrets to you then." I giggle softly, trying to play off the intense wave of feelings that have overcome me. "I'm kidding."

"Alvera." His tone is low and scolding.

"Okay okay." I squeeze my eyes closed, letting go of a shuddering breath. "To start, I am worried about my sister staying here. I'm worried she will never forgive me for our past, and for leaving her here with our family home."