Flicker

So, this chapter kinda seems like I ship JackRabbit (Jack x Bunny). I do not, so don't expect them to get together after all of this. Sorry if you're disappointed :(   Bunny just cares for Jack like a brother. 

But anyway, enjoy and happy reading!

.....

It had been too long since Jack was last awake. Every second felt like years to Bunny. Every trembling rise and fall of his chest felt like torture to the pooka. He wished there was more to do for the pain. The thrashing he did a couple days ago tore some of the stitches and caused him to loose too much blood for Bunny's comfort.

Every day for the time Jack had been unconscious, which was three long days, Bunny and Tooth spent at least a few hours at his bedside. North spent a lot of time trying to track down Pitch, who seemed to have vanished completely. They tried going back to his liar only to find it deserted. 

Sandy was busy keeping the children's belief under control. A few horrible moments, lights on the globe would start to flicker out. The Sandman had been working overtime just to give every single child good dreams. 

Bunny placed a paw on Jack's forehead while sitting on a wooden chair next to the teen. They were able to break a fever that started after his episode thanks to cold towels. 

Currently, Bunny's arms were bandaged with white gauze that Tooth forced him to put on. The ice melted over the fire after about ten minutes and they caused a few cuts. 

If Jack were there, he would have been making fun of Bunny...if only he was.

"Hey, you okay?" Tooth asked. 

Bunny blinked out of his day dreaming. "Sorry?" He asked.

"You were kinda out of it," Tooth said, peering at him. "Are you okay?"

"Just...worried," Bunny said with a sigh. "He hasn't been improving other than us being able to break his fever. But you would think he should have woken up by now, right?"

Tooth sighed and cast a glance at Jack. "He's been through a lot, Bunny. Pitch did some horrible things to him...and for a while it seemed that he wouldn't-" She cut herself off. "But after all this, we know he's strong and that he'll keep fighting. We know that."

For a moment, Bunny saw light at the end of the tunnel. That was before he remembered the fear and pain that he saw in Jack when he realized that he didn't have his memories anymore. 

"I can't go back to those 300 years of knowing nothing but my name..." Was what Jack said. 

"Those 300 years," Bunny tried to say. "That was a really tough time for Jack to be alone, knowing nothing. I think it was our fault that he was so broken."

"Well, it must have been hard being alone for so long," Tooth coaxed. "True, we should have paid more attention to him, but he knows that he can trust us. He knows we are a family."

"But what if he doesn't?" Bunny asked immediately. "You see how he is sometimes: Secretive, skittish, on the outs. What if he doesn't think he belongs? And now that I think of it, we never asked his side of the story when he was with Pitch. We don't know what caused him to abandon us to get his teeth." 

Tooth opened then closed her mouth. 

"We didn't even know he went to Antarctica until he told us today. And I don't think that's all. He's still keeping something from us.

Tooth seemed to consider this for a moment.

"Am I the only one who sees it?" Bunny asked.

"No," Tooth finally said. "I can see it too. I think North and Sandy can too. We always have seen Jack as the Spirit of Fun and the carefree Jack Frost we all have learned to know." She sighed. "But you're right. There are things we don't know about him. Things he doesn't want us to see."

Bunny nodded. "So what do we do about it?"

"Give him time," the fairy said. "That's what would help him most. No matter how much we think it would help for him to tell us, we can't push him."

Jack groaned in his sleep and stiffened before relaxing again. Was that really all they could do? Just wait? They have been waiting, yet Jack still kept everything to himself, and soon enough, it was going to break him down and leave him helpless. Just like how Jack must be feeling now.

And Bunny knew none of them were going to let him do this alone. They'd help Jack get through it and get his memories back somehow.

A heavy pair of footsteps walked through the hall and stopped at the infirmary door.

"How is he doing?" North asked. His voice sounded tired and worn.

"Not better, not worse," Bunny said. "I just worry about when he'll wake up. I don't know if there's something we aren't seeing that is harming him further."

North hummed in thought and stroked his beard. "Give him time. When you really think about it, three days not bad."

"Where's Sandy?" Tooth asked.

"Still in Australia, I think," North said. "That's where the fear is worse on globe. But I need favor, Bunny," North finished, clapping his hands together. "Or, more like Jack needs favor."

Bunny raised an eyebrow.

"I was looking at globe and remembered the last time I was worried about the lights, with the fight with Pitch," North said. He chuckled slightly. "Good times. But anyway, I remembered last light and noticed it vwas still there. Good sign. That kid still believes. But there's also something I saw when globe was spinning."

"Was it Pitch again?" Tooth asked, anger flooded her purple eyes at the mention of Pitch's name.

"Not...exactly," North said. He looked nervous. "I think it has to do with Jack."

"Jack didn't do anything," Bunny said. "He's been here the whole time."

"It's not what Jack did do. I think it's what he didn't do." The man took a breath, his face serious but a worried look glinted in his features. "Jack used to visit Jamie at least three times a week. The boy must know there is something wrong because when I was looking at light, it flickered."

"So that means..." Tooth's voice trailed off, waiting for North to finish. Bunny could tell she was also getting annoyed that he wouldn't get to the point.

"For a moment, just a small moment," North started. "Jamie stopped believing."

Bunny's eyes went wide.

"And I think it's because Jamie thinks Jack has abandoned him."

.....

Sorry for the short chapter! Next one will be soon, I promise. Hope you enjoyed!