𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷

𝓛𝓲𝓵𝔂

The second the bell rang, announcing the end of classes, I basically ran to my car. I couldn't wait to be home.

Don't get me wrong, the people were nice. It was just a very overwhelming day and I needed to get home as soon as possible. I started to make my way out of the parking lot when Ava called me.

I put my phone on speaker before talking. "School just ended, why are you calling?"

"Girl, where are you?" I could hear the many voices around her and figured she was still in the hallway, probably looking for me.

"In my car. I just got out of the parking lot. Did something happen?" I asked.

"No don't worry. How did you get out of there so quickly? I'm stuck in traffic right now. People are walking so slow I swear." I could hear her getting irritated over the phone, which made me laugh slightly.

"Just gotta be quick. I ran to my car."

I heard her chuckle. "Of course you did. Anyway, I wanted to know if you wanted to go watch my brother's hockey practice tonight. We'd pick you up around 5:30; ends at 8 o'clock"

5:30, I repeated in my mind, it was currently 4 which meant I had an hour and a half to take a power nap, read a chapter or two, maybe shower and get ready. That could work. "Yeah, I'd love to. Why do you go to his practices though?"

"Some of his teammates are hot. And I want you to come because it gets boring. And you need to socialize more." I could practically hear the smirk forming on her face. I knew damn well she was going to try and get me a boyfriend or something. "Anyways I finally made my way out of this hell hole. I'll text you later alright?"

"Yep, see you later." I hung up the phone and turned into my driveway.

I parked my car and got into the house. I dropped my backpack in the entryway. "Anyone home?!" I shouted as I walked over to the kitchen.

That's when I heard rapid footsteps over my head and then down the stairs: my brother was home.

"Lily, Lily guess what! This kid that lives right down the street asked me to be his friend today!" He said, full of enthusiasm.

I smiled brightly, genuinely happy for him. "That's great David!"

"He's one year older, so he's 11. That makes me kind of cool since I'm friends with someone older than me, you know?" That's when I knew, he was going to go on a rant. "His name is Xavier. He has a dog, though I don't remember his name. He told me he went to Florida last summer and showed me a bunch of photos. Did I tell you I went to his house? Well I did, and he has his own playroom and..."

"David?" I interrupted. I loved my brother, but I needed to take a nap or I'd fall asleep on the spot. "You know I love to hear about your stories and your new friend sounds really nice. But I'm kind of tired and I have to get ready for something. Why don't you invite him this weekend so Mom, Dad and I can meet him?"

"Yes, I'd love that!"

"Sounds like a plan. Is Mom home?"

"Yeah, she's upstairs." He pointed towards the stairs as if I didn't know where they were.

"Right here actually." I heard my mom say. I turned around to see her walking down the stairs. "Did you need something?" She asked.