☼ TWO ☼

And so you continued to train with the blades alongside Sei Gojo. By 28, you had mastered the blades and remained undefeatable. While Aokigahara was already vastly hunted for her magical crops and animals, the protection you and Sei provided sparked the interest of many invaders. 

The forest appreciated all that you did for the territory throughout the years and made protection easier by strengthening the border with thick, thorned vines. This made it very difficult for infiltrators to get inside and also made it easier for you to deal with them.

The difficulty of stepping foot into the land made it an amusing challenge for bandits and greedy scoundrels. However, rumors spread about the two beautiful women guarding the sacred tree, and bounties were scattered. They wanted the heads of you and Sei, but it was pointless:

Sei had the Six Eyes and you so happened to have the blood of deadly warriors running through your veins. But with each failed assassination attempt, the bounty just kept getting heavier and heavier.

"At this point, we should just pay our bounties off, that'd be the simplest and fastest option," Sei sighed stressfully.

In the last 10 years that you've known Sei, there's been a lot of change from the both of you. Although the village had a respected Chief, you and Sei had equal authority and trust over the people of the village. It also was no longer a small village and expanded into a larger home for the increasing number of villagers.

Sei lost her bubbly and carefree personality and became more serious throughout the years, as it was her duty in the village to represent peace and safety. She was the mother figure that the village relied on to heal and learn from.

You, however, have always been serious just as you were raised to be. To this day it is not any different that you carry the lives of countless on your back. You were their leader and guardian which was a big responsibility that required your utmost regard.

"You have a point, but it would be extremely expensive," You reason.

"Money isn't an issue," She shakes her head, "We have enough to pay it off, we can gain it back by the end of the season."

You nod in agreement, "You're right, but there are bounty hunters and mercenaries who continue to hunt and kill just for the fun of it. No money necessary. It would be pointless in the end."

Sei takes a seat with a long sigh, "You're not wrong . . ."

Enemies acquired new tactics to infiltrate Aokigahara and were successful at times. Some came from the sky or used fire to burn through the borders, but once you showed up they never stood a chance. The land favored you and helped you with these invasions, sending flying creatures to attack the invaders, thrusting tree roots to strangle them, and even calling for reinforcements when you were struggling.

But the bounties and periodic attacks that came every day were coming to be overwhelming. You and Sei were currently discussing matters in one of the guardhouses outside the village, debating on paying the bounties off. You doubted that it would solve everything. It was quiet for moments until Sei shot up from her seat with a gasp and ran outside.

"What is it?" You ask cautiously and walk outside.

"What is that?" She whispers as her crystal blue eyes glitter in alarm. "That presence . . ."

The moment you came to stand beside her, your skin began to crawl with unease. Your heart drops to your stomach at this awful presence, and you waste no time running back inside to prepare for battle.

"Gather the villagers and get them away from here, take them to the other side of the tree. I'll investigate," You throw demands at her and head toward the door, motioning for your blades to follow you.