Chapter 2

An uneasy silence fell over the ballroom as all talk stopped and all eyes looked to the doors. Smoke slowly billowed into the room, making the scene even more spooky. An ominous glow came from within, revealing a shadowy figure. The party goers backed up in fear as this newcomer entered. His eyes widening in horror and disbelief, Pops rasped, "Eagle Eye?!"

"It's Tiberius you old demented fool!" the newcomer, a red tailed hawk in dark robes, hissed. A guinea pig sat upon his shoulder, admiring the ballroom in awe. Adjusting the crown on his head, Pops stood straighter as he barked, "You dare insult me?!" Shoving his face right into the emperor's, Tiberius retorted in a voice laced with poison, "Why not? Your entire existence insults me."

"Get back your majesty!" Rooster shouted, drawing his sword as he put himself between the two. His light brown eyes flashing fiery red, Tiberius simply flicked his hand. The next thing anyone knew, the captain of the guard was sliding across the floor. The hawk flicked his hand again, sending two crutches flying through the air. Pops collapsed to the floor, unable to stand. At this point, the guests and staff were scared, pinning themselves against the walls and trying to escape. Kicking the crown aside with his taloned foot, Tiberius grabbed Pops and growled, "Look at you, embarrassing yourself before your subjects. There is a way to spare yourself from this humiliation."

"Screw you, it's been years now. You've lost, and I banished you," Pops spat, a defiant look in his eyes. Dropping the emperor on the floor, Tiberius responded curtly, "Very well, your majesty." The guinea pig ran over to his other shoulder as the red tailed hawk reached into his left sleeve and pulled out a white glowing skull. The skull glowed even brighter as the hawk announced, "I may be banished from the kingdom but it's worth it considering who is our leader! I have seen the future, the emperor and all in his bloodline will die before the end of the week! I banish you with a curse!"

"Get him!" a soldier shouted. All of the royal guards rushed forward. A couple aided Pops to his feet while the others swarmed around the intruder. Keeping a firm hold on both the guinea pig and the glowing skull, Tiberius raised his wings and flapped them once, sending the guards and anyone nearby flying back. There was a flash of light and then he was gone. Guests fled to the doors while the royal guards escorted the royal family to their rooms for their protection.

"Come my special snowflake," Chloe whispered, her voice trembling. Holding her grandmother's hand, Puffball couldn't help but wonder why everyone was scared. The palace was impenetrable, they had the best soldiers. Her family was safe here. What was there to be scared about?"

———

"Sir, is this a good idea?" Norman squeaked, peering down from the tree branch he had been set upon. Pouring some mysterious colored dust into his open palm, Tiberius rasped, "I didn't say this was a good idea, it's a necessary one. That blasted fool of an emperor thinks he can get away with everything he has done! I'll show them, I'll show them all."

"There must be another way," Norman pleaded. Turning his gaze to the guinea pig, Tiberius sighed softly. Gently petting the rodent with his free hand, the red tailed hawk murmured, "There isn't. Trust me on this, everything will be okay. I see a future where we can find happiness, but Pops and his wretched descendants need to disappear first." Norman quietly nodded his head in understanding. Composing himself for a moment, Tiberius recited, "With the dust of the deep earth, I command you to rise." He then threw the dirt he had in his hand onto the fire.

The flames immediately grew bigger and changed into an eerie green color. Squeaking in terror, Norman scurried closer to the trunk of the tree. Tiberius remained where he was as a lean hairless cat stepped forth from the fire. His green eyes blazing like embers, the feline hissed, "I am Ozone, soldier of the Underworld. I am yours to command, so long as you have paid the price-" Stalking back and forth before the demon he had summoned, Tiberius interrupted, "I have already paid the price."

"Alright then," Ozone muttered, "What is my bidding?"