Chapter 4 - Reason for his Smile

The three stayed silently as the two found solace and calm in the presence of the hero of Fontaine. Said hero is currently calming the two girls down and soothing them from the pressure and frustrations that they had experienced.

"How are you two now?" Aether asked the two girls in a kind tone.

"I feel much better Aether. Sorry about this, I shouldn't be the one who should be doing something like this." Navia said as she looked at him apologetically after she had wiped her tears away.

Aether just chuckled at her words before he untangled his hand from her causing her to frown. Before she felt his arm wrap around her and bring her into a hug causing her to blush due to it as she looked at him as he smiled at her.

"It's fine Navia. Besides, I'm more than happy to help a good friend like you. I know how it feels like to not have the person you care about beside you." Aether said to her with a smile.

Navia was stunned when she heard that as she looked at him. Then she remembered about his rant about wanting to find his sister as she looked at him.

'That's right. He is trying to find his sister and unlike Melus and Silver, she is alive. For me I know what had happened to them but for him he doesn't know about what happened to his sister.' Navia thought to herself as she looked at him.

She looked down when she realised that as she felt guilty for having him comfort her. But she was also quite confused about another thing about him as well.

Furina meanwhile had also rubbed away her tears and was looking at the two beside her as she was interested in their conversation.

'Even though he is separated from his sister he is able to smile so brightly. How is he able to do that?' Navia thought to herself in confusion before she looked at him.

"Aether, I know that this is a personal question so you don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to..." Navia said to him timidly.

Her change in demeanor was shocking to Aether as he had never heard Navia talk like that. But he thought that it was given considering the fact that Melus and Silver had dissolved. Furina was getting interested in what kind of question that Navia was about to ask him.

'Now what does she want to ask him?' Furina thought to herself as she looked at her.

"Sure, ask me Navia." Aether said to her reassuringly.

Navia gulped at that before she looked at him.

"Aether, you have been separated from your sister and are no doubt worried about her. I have lost both Melus and Silver and I have been finding it hard to smile as of late. How... are you able to smile like that despite being separated from her?" Navia asked him slowly and carefully.

Aether looked at her surprised by her question while Furina looked gobsmacked when she heard that. Though her question also brought forth the memory of Focalors which brought her sadness as well. So she looked at the man alongside the president as they waited for his response.

"Well, I will admit that no having Lumine beside me is disheartening for me. But, that doesn't mean that I would close myself to the world around me." Aether said as he looked at the sky.

The two girls looked at him as they watched him intently.

"The world is a beautiful place, and the people are also kind and considerate. There are dangers in the world and bad people as well. However, just because some bad things exist, doesn't mean that I would just stop caring about what's around me." Aether said as he looked at her.

Navia blushed when she saw him smiling at her while Furina felt jealous that he was directing his smile at the blonde.

"I've meet many people in Teyvat and visited many places in the four nations. All of them were beautiful and meaningful and every part of my journey had shown me various things about the world. I am sad about the fact that I am not with my sister, but I am also not going to let it hinder me as well. I will keep on searching for her, but I will also make sure to understand and help the world and people around me. I will not let my sorrow blind me to the world around me." Aether said as he sighed before he looked at the sky as if he was reminiscing.

The two girls looked at him surprised at his words and were a bit awed. They had thought that he had fully come to terms with his feelings and was fine with it. But they were far from the truth.

He was still hurting from the separation. He still longed for the presence of his sister beside him. He still wishes to find her and reunite with her. All of these feelings are still inside him, being unresolved.

And yet, despite that he hasn't let them interfere with his own choices. He hasn't let his sorrows affect his decisions. Despite the misgivings that he has, he isn't shackled by them and is able to enjoy the world around him.

That was when the two girls understood. Aether didn't smile because he had resolved his conflicting and negative emotions, he is able to smile so beautiful because he doesn't let the misfortunes hinder his outlook on life. He continues to be positive and optimistic and kind to others and not let his own misfortune blind him.

'Aether is... so strong.' Navia thought to herself as she looked at him in awe.

'So that's why he is able to smile like that.' Furina thought to herself as she looked at him in awe.

They realised that his smile is so bright not because he had defeated the negative emotions raging inside him, but because he doesn't allow them to drag him down. His smile is so beautiful, because he can smile despite the misfortunes he has experienced.

'He is much stronger than me.' Furina and Navia thought to themselves as they looked at him.

Aether felt the gazes of the two girls as he looked at them and they immediately tore their gaze away from him as they blushed at being caught looking at him. Aether just chuckled at their reaction as they saw his smiling as their hearts skipped a beat as they blushed from seeing his face.

The two women simultaneously hugged him and buried their faces on his chest as he was a bit surprised by it. But he didn't mind and rubbed their backs reassuringly with a smile as the two girls have bright blushes on their faces.

'He is so beautiful.' Furina and Navia thought to themselves as they felt him run their backs.