fourteen | trapped in a bed

The young woman who stands in front of me blinks in surprise. She's wearing a black dress that stops in the middle of her calves. Her long brown hair is put up into a low ponytail. Her pink lips are slightly parted in shock. 

"Evelyn, meet Aurora. She's just started working for our business. But her father was a good soldier," Sullivan says, a solemn tone taking his lighter one upon mentioning her father. 

Oh. 

So she's an orphan, too. 

Maybe that's why we saw each other in the office that day, four years ago. She must have been sixteen back then, when I was eleven. 

Aurora's concerned expression is washed away. She smiles at me. "Good morning, Evelyn." 

"Good morning," I answer. 

Alexander's phone pings. He quickly takes it out, his gaze narrowing on the screen. "Sullivan." He says. The two disappear immediately. 

Aurora turns her attention back to me. "Do you want anything to eat? You haven't had a proper meal in two days." 

I shrug. Is she not going to mention that day in the social workers's office? Maybe she doesn't recognize me—but I look similar to how I looked back then. 

"I'm not hungry." And it's true. I feel more nauseous than anything. Aurora doesn't seem to be fazed by my unwillingness to eat. 

"I'll get you some yogurt and fruit. Alright?" I can barely nod. I feel tired suddenly. My eyelids droop down. My leg is aching. 

I don't notice when Aurora leaves, but I definitely know when she comes back. She opens the blinds fully, letting light stream into my bedroom. 

At the edge of the bed, she set a wooden tray with a bowl filled of food and a glass of orange juice. 

Aurora walks towards me, and uses one hand to keep my back tilted forward while she adjusts my pillows. 

When I'm finally leaned upright and against pillows, she places the tray on my lap. The bowl has strawberry yogurt, granola, berries and honey. 

I stare at it grimly. 

I just want to be able to move. I want to get out of this bed. 

"Aren't you going to eat? I imagine you must be starving by now..." She trails off, raising an eyebrow at me. 

"I'm really not too hungry. Thank you, though," I smile. She still seems concerned. 

"I can get you a smoothie?"

I shake my head. 

"Cereal?" 

Another head shake. 

Aurora sighs. "The Don said you're picky," and she laughs. I let out a small chuckle. I have never liked food. 

It's annoying. 

The door opens. The twins pop their heads in. Luke grins at me mischievously. 

"Oui, there, little sister! Congrats! Your first time getting shot! Wow, I wasn't treated this special. Dad pretty much told me to shake it off, and I was thirteen," Luke sighs. 

Logan rolls his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Shut up. You only took two bullets. I took four." 

Their conversation seems lighthearted, but I get anxious as they talk about getting shot. Shot! They're so nonchalant about the whole experience. 

It's so sickening. And unfortunate. 

Luke falls down onto the bed. Logan turns to Aurora, and says, "Thanks for all your help, but we've got it covered. Go help Laney in the kitchen."