Chapter 4

"Hot Dogs"

Mari

I shrieked quietly and clamped both hands over my mouth when I saw the guy behind Rina's back. Firstly, it was obvious how much he and Sirius looked alike after all. Secondly, seeing my friend in such proximity to a man without throwing up was also a surprise. No, I'd seen her "Reggie Black" fanfic collection, of course, but it would take a while to get used to.

Rina, Remus, Regulus, and Sirius began to heatedly investigate what was going on and what we should all do now. The Blacks kept throwing angry glances at each other without saying a word. It might have been right to leave the brothers alone to discuss their relationship, but a new problem presented itself.

"We still haven't figured out where James and Lily have gone," Remus stopped in the middle of the room, staring at the coffee table with a distraught look. The boy exhaled sharply and ran a hand through his soft brown hair.

"Fuck," Marlene bent down and covered her face with her hands, "did we really forget to tell them?"

"Tell us what?" Rina frowned, " What the hell did you guys do?"

Sirius coughed into his fist a few times and turned away to the window.

"Don't act like this wasn't your idea, Padfoot," Lupin pressed his lips together unhappily.

Suddenly everyone was staring at the older Black. Especially Rina and me. He felt everyone in the room staring back at him and gave up.

"Well, we've been messing around with some of the spells from the Restricted Section," he said.

Regulus clucked his tongue and gave him a look of utter disdain and displeasure.

"How did I end up here, then?" It was the first time the boy had spoken to his older brother.

"I don't know," said Padfoot through gritted teeth and landed on my wet coat lying in the chair. His coal-colored eyebrows were frowning more and more, and his grey eyes expressed so many emotions at once that it looked like he was about to start crying.

"Okay, well, all right. You need to know that James and Lily were with us at that moment and that they're also somewhere...here right now," Lupin waved his hands indistinctly, looking at Rina and me. "Maybe you have some other girlfriend with a warm flat in London?"

We looked at each other. I shrugged, not saying a word. It was very unlikely that James and Lily could have ended up with our friends.

Sirius suddenly swung his hand again. Something began to escape from the tip of his wand. The living room was flooded with a bright silver light as a huge, shimmering dog landed on the floor. The silver fur flowed so clearly before my eyes that for a second I wondered again if I had lost my mind. The dog stood still for a few moments, and then, in one leap, hopped across the room and disappeared behind the windowpane.